Oswego NY 'muck' Gardening for the Artsy Fartsy

Oswego, NY(Zone 5a)

I need help maintaining a 'preserve' of sorts.

Here are my best estimates and understanding of the area (forgive me, and correct me for any mistakes, I have lived here only six + years).

A circle (40++ foot diameter) area (of our four acres) is a 'wild and untouched' corner on 'Snake Swamp Road', now called Lake Shore Road. The history is rich...dating back to the War of 1812. A wild Cherry Tree is the last huge tree left on what we have nicknamed Yuk Island. This tree is 80 feet high! It still has green leaves (at the top) and is draped with 1 1/2" vines, and any other wild climber. The tree has no blooms in the Spring (if it's ID is correct). The base is 3-5 feet across (I can not get in there easily). It is naturally WET and drys out mid summer, unless we get a torrential downpour...which can happen here on Lake Ontario. The soil is Black and Dense. Historically, this is the Corner of a five mile expanse of land owned by Benjamin B. Place. They farmed here. At the opposite corner, at 'Eight Mile' Creek (I think this is the distance from the Port of Oswego) stood a Saw and Cider Mill in the 1800's, run by Benjamin B. Place. It employed 100's in this area. Part of The Underground Railroad ended here and the slaves were hidden or given refuge and work in area homes and businesses until they got a free ride across the Lake to Canada. What is strange to me is the lack of blacks in our community. This, area of 'wild' is the 'high ground'... and 'start' of all water that flows South to a creek that enters the lake directly South of the same corner (possibly five mile creek???).

I know nothing about this dark rich soil that is mucky then sticky then dense through the summer months. Locally there are 'Muck' Farmers that plant huge crops of Onions and ??? in this black and rich soil. The corner of our property is also the main entrance to the County Wide Camp (Oswego County's CAMP HOLLIS) which dates back to early 1900's or more. I want to keep the inner 'Core' of Yuk Island all natural. The tough part is there is a large rock pile next to the tree (1800's farming practice), there is some poison oak, and these blasted vines are everywhere.

The base area, surrounding the 'wild' area, is filled with bulbs, ground covers, and more, planted in the 1970's +.

Want Lots of Advice on this project to Plant and also Preserve History, while making the County Camp's Entrance beautiful and natural.

Thanks so much! Oxygen Annie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.