Shasta daisies are not blooming

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I am wondering why my shasta daisies which bloomed profusely last year are showing no buds. Is it too early? I saw them in full bloom in Decatur and Atlanta last week, so I think they should at least be in bud here in Rome. Thanks for any ideas.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Rome, I just checked my journal and my 'Becky' daisies began blooming June 23 last year. The wild ox-eye daisies are blooming everywhere now; I haven't really noticed any others. Maybe the cultivars are later blooming. BTW, my 3 Becky got so huge that I cut them back drastically in late summer to keep them from smothering surrounding plants. And, that killed them. Yikes.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, cedar18, I will be more patient --- I should keep better garden notes, myself.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine have been blooming here for a few weeks now. They were the first thing to bloom in my yard last year and got a later start this year because of the temperature. The potted ones are just starting to bloom for us.....

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine have swelling buds, but I think I am becomming too shaded.
I will be looking for my shastas to bloom in two weeks.
Another thing I am having problems with is gerbera daisies.I know thats because my sunny location is becomming too shaded.
Mike

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Interesting Rann - do you know which daisies you have? Are they a cultivar?
My 'crazy daisy' cv is in bud.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't have a clue LOL One of hubby's customers in the north Ga. mnts. threw a clump of them in his van to bring home a few years ago. I love them, even though my cat sleeps in them ;)

Decatur, GA

My Shasta daisy's haven't bloomed yet. Lots of leaves, a big mound. I am still hoping.
Helen

Dothan, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm in zone 8a, and mine are not budding yet. This is my first year of having them and am not familiar with when they are suppose to bloom. But, I do know they have no buds on them yet.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Cedar18,
I noticed your comment about Becky daisies getting so huge that you cut it back. Last September we had to reconfigure our whole landscape due to waterflow issues and I moved 3 small mounds of what I thought was smaller daisies, and this season was very surprised when they got much wider and taller than the Home Run rose bushes that they were supposed to be just a little color spot between. LOL. They are now putting on gorgeous long-stemmed white daisies and I want more. When it is safe, I want to divide them and move them somewhere else because they are absolutely overpowering the Home Run roses. Is early spring after new growth starts the right time for dividing?

Also, anyone have experience with saving the Becky daisy seed and planting it? Are they difficult to germinate and survive?

Thanks,
DNP

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Gee Dogs, I'm not the one to answer that since I killed all my Beckys! In theory you should be able to cut them back in Oct and divide or in the spring as new growth emerges. Good luck. I'm sure you have greener thumbs than I do.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I am finally able to see buds on my Shastas --- it looks like cedar18's June 23rd will be just about right --- I guess the early bloomers I saw in Atlanta are a different cv.

Decatur, GA

My Shasta daisies are making a rally. The are putting up new taller shoots that definitely have flower buds.
Something kept buds from forming earlier in the spring.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.