What exactly are Vericolor Iris?

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

They look like Siberian Iris in the pictures to me. What is the difference?

South Hamilton, MA

Versicolor is a native American species.

So would that mean that the versicolor is the native equivilent of the imported Siberian? They really do look very much the same to my uneducated eyes.

South Hamilton, MA

Not as much work done with them as siberians. Hate to tell you, but versicolors are the source of iris borers. when the big bearded rhizomes arrived here, all borers had a party & said 'LOOK WHAT WE CAN EAT NOW!!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Versicolor is a member of the series Laevigata, along with ensata, and virginica. They are commonly referred to as blue flag. They can cross pollinate with each other and with siberians, making them very nice for hybridizers. Siberian irises are members of the series Sibiricae. You'll see crosses with other irises named versib, versata, etc.

As Lucy said they are native to wetlands in eastern North America and Canada, but will grow well in normal garden soil.

Some crosses look a lot like sibs, some, like Berlin Tiger do not.

it sounds like you need a really good book on irises, Rita, since you're so interested in the different ones. I would recommend 'Irises' , by Claire Austin.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Versicolor would not be the native to sib imports. They are more the pseudacorus of the US.

All of those are too confusing for me. I didn't even know that they exhisted until I starting reading this forum here and still not sure what they all are. Not asking for an explination of them all either, I know its too complicated and most or maybe all are not for me.

I tend to find what I like (in this case the Sibs) and then buy lots of different ones. I think that the Sibs are going to turn out well for me.

I know I have asked about other different types of iris before but I don't really want to go off and try everything. For instance, I had asked about Lousianna Iris and decided they are not for me.

So far going for the TB and the Sibs. Also going to buy Dutch Iris Bulbs come fall. No plans to get more JI as I have the one. I do like the look of Spuria and am thinking on getting afew more ( or not). Still thinking about it.

More Sibs for sure, maybe a small order this fall and more next spring. I am very tired of making and expanding garden beds and planting.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think everyone has to settle in with what they like, and then maybe branch out and try a few new ones. Some people don't like the species ones. I love them. I started with just sibs, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.