Are some echinacea's biennial?

Mechanicsville, MD

I am relatively new to growing echinacea. I have sundown, harvest moon, sunrise and pixie meadowbrite. I started some seeds this spring of magnus and white swan and purchased a ruby star seedling. I have had magnus, orange meadowbrite (I think that is the name) and sunset which only survived two years each. The only one I have had longer than two years is pixie meadowbrite. Are some biennial?

I would love to get more varieties. If anyone knows any good sources or can give me helpful hints on growing from seed (or where to purchase good seeds) I would appreciate it. Thanks.

wisdomskr

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Razzmatazz has been growing for me for 4 years now! Pink Double Delight for 3!
My old-fashioned Purple Coneflowers have been there for about 10 years. They come back from the roots each year!
My Pallida has been blooming for 6 years now.
The new Red, Orange and Yellow cultivars are not perennials that are reliable.
The only reliable Yellow is Paradoxa and only with good drainage.

I'd be glad to mix you up a good mixture of seeds to try. I have too many seeds and would love to share!

Mechanicsville, MD

I would really appreciate that. I believe since your plants have been growing for so long, you have a really healthy stock. Would I need to start the seeds now or wait until the fall?

You can start now for blooms next year.

Mechanicsville, MD

Would you recommend starting them in pots or in the ground?

Mechanicsville, MD

I will d-mail my address if you can send any seeds.

Let me know if you would like me to send you money for shipping ect...

This message was edited May 29, 2009 8:20 AM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 7b)

echinaceamaniac...
Idon't want to seem pushy, but if you have seeds you need to get rid of, I'd love to get some from you, too! I've grown the old fashioned ones for years, but I just became addicted this year. I'd be happy to send you an envelope and stamps....

I'll send you some. Just send me a Dmail. I'll include some Paradoxa too. They take longer to bloom though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.