Echinacea & Rudbeckia Photos From May 28 2009

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are some photos from this morning starting with Echinacea "Ozark"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here is Echinacea "Sundown" with Stokesia "Peachie's Pick" and Rudbeckia "Denver Daisy"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Fatal Attraction"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Tiger Eye Gold"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Green Eyes"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

YAY! You got a bloom from Paradoxa! Those blooms seem to last longer than any. My same blooms are still looking good!

Rudbeckia "Denver Daisy"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Coconut Lime"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Are your plants all in pots?

Echinacea "Hope" just coming along.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

I didn't buy Hope. I wasn't impressed with that one. I've seen volunteer seedlings that look like it.

And also coming along are (clockwise from top left) Echinacea "Purple Coneflower", "Green Envy", "Primadonna White" and "Bravado".
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

About 3/4 of mine are in the ground. They seem to do much better there. If they're in pots it's usually not for long. I'm not that wild about the flower on Echinacea "Hope". It's "all cone and very little petal". I'm still going to hold onto it for awhile.
Jon

Yes, I'm very much liking "Paradoxa" (Ozark). I have two of them in the ground and they both have just started blooming. The foliage is so narrow and different and the bloom stems are so tall and sturdy...real sturdy.
Jon

Yeah - Paradoxa makes an excellent cut flower. You should seriously get a Pallida if you don't have it. It's one of my favorites. They look good together and bloom at similar times.

You're probably right. I'm still fairly new to Echies so I had to cheat and look that one up. I can see how they would look good together as they appear to be similar in form and both have these wildly long stems. I'm just glad that the "Green Envy" (in the photo) in the backyard is looking very promising this year. This one gets much less direct sun compared to the one in the front yard and you can see a huge difference when comparing them. Sometimes its all about location, location, location.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Jon

How long will it be before your Elton Knight blooms? What other new one did you get at the same time as Elton Knight? I can't remember. Was it Pink Poodle?

I would like to have one of deep magenta colored cultivars. I'd have to look up the names cause I'm not that familiar with cone flowers, but I think I've seen at least two different ones that were the deep magenta. I have one cultivar and I don't even remember what it is but since I've started watching you guys post your pictures on this forum, I would like to add a few this year and see how they do. I was fairly surprised when my lone coneflower returned this year.

Patty

Howdy Patty
Elton Knight has several months to go still. The new ones for me this spring are: Amado, Elton Knight, Flame Thrower, Mac N Cheese, Pink Poodle, Tangerine Dream, Tomato Soup and Virgin. Usually I just stumble across them while searching for something else on google. Let's say you were doing a search for "Echinacea Tomato Soup". You simply start clicking on some of the links to online retailers. When you get to a retailer just do another search on their site for Echinacea or Coneflowers. That way you can see everything they have to offer in Echies. Try the same thing on another online retailer and you will quickly begin seeing almost all of the Echinacea that are available and out there. It's a good way to look around and come up with ideas for something you might want, something new you haven't heard of and may want to try. Most plants I've tried I've just stumbled across online while searching for something else.
Jon

How are tangerine dream and flame thrower doing?

Both of them are doing fine with no visual problems to date. The foliage looks good, they've settled into their new climate, adjusted to handle our intense sun and are growing right now. I've only had them about 3 weeks so they still have a long way to go before they bloom.
Jon

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

My tomato soup plant I got this spring is nice and healthy looking - no flowers yet.

Oh I agree. Echinacea "Tomato Soup" appears to be kicking butt!

My Tomato Soup is doing ok, but Mac 'N Cheese is a runt! LOL.

Maybe it needs to be fed some "Mac N Cheese". Mine is still trying to recover from its foliage stripping due to either or my overwatering or powdery mildew. Still on the "intensive care" table.
Jon

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Same with my Mac N Cheese

There seems to be pretty consistent results with Mac N Cheese across the board and I'm sure we didn't all purchase ours from the same place. It can't just be by coincidence.

I should have learned after my Big Sky Series disasters! LOL. I feel like such fool for falling for those pictures yet again!

Those are the chances we are willing to take when it comes to anything new, not just Echinacea. As long as there are enough good choices over time it's still worth it to me. I think its still worth it to you also, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I will be interested to see how the 'Tangerine Dream' and 'Flame Thrower' do for you. I like the looks of the pics they are showing but there is nothing like a real garden pic and decriptions to get the real info on these new ones.

I know exactly what you mean...an unbiased real photo is quite helpful

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.