TZG Wannabe or "My Little Hawaii" in Texas

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone!!!!!

This is our new patio cover after IKE took down the old canopy down last year. This one is supposed to make it thru a hurricane (cat 1-3). It is structural steel. It provides great shade and does not leak. We had plenty of rain this weekend to test it!

The wind has played havoc with the hut. It could use some help.

We put up another Intex pool for the grandchildren this weekend. It's great to sit in and cool off in the hot summer.

The pond is being filtered and then we will reinstall the pump for the little waterfall. We'll have to trim out some of the growth so it can be seen.

Several of our hibiscus, and angel trumpets are in bloom, and my variagated ginger bloomed. It is a shell ginger. I am so happy! Can't wait for the other ginger to bloom!

Several of the daylilies are in bloom. I've been crossing them. There are 25 seed pods if they all hold. "ALOHA Y'ALL"

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Full shot of the backyard before the pool was sat up.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Shell ginger back behind the banana grove. What a surprise to see them there!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Keaau, HI

Nice!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Dave! Here's some of our hibiscus.....

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Single red hibiscus

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Small but sweet hibiscus

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Pink

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Peach double hib

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Red double just outside the hut

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Daylily Midnight Magic

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Daylily Living on the Edge

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Angel trumpet row

These are the ones that Randy gave me. The sago I didn't think would make it outside my dining room window put out new leaves!!!!!!!! YEAH!

So far some of the angel trumpets are pink and yellow.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Pink Angel Trumpets. They have only been here 1 year. They have really grown!
These were a gift from Randy. They are getting big already.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

In the front we have two young magnolia trees we planted when moved here 11 years ago. They are slow growers, but the flowers smell soooooo good!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yellow hib

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

These are some of the flowers that we have. I'll update my Garden Journal later with more of them.

The plumerias are leafing out. I got two seed pods off of my yellow tree from last year. We planted the seeds about a week or so ago....it'll be awhile before they start showing signs of growth.

Plumeria tree with seed pod

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Angel trumpet's seed pod. It cracked open and they have been planted also.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a few baby papaya trees from the seed I planted last fall. They will need repotting soon, but they MADE IT!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

This is all for now! Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Keaau, HI

Very nice!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like a better than average start for this summer, Jeanne. The sago you gave me last year looks rather forlorn as it was covered in ice for two days and the fronds are tan. I am leaving it alone in the hope it will recover when we hit hot weather. The bananas are turning into full grown trees. I awoke today to two angel blooms that are double white. One of the many, many tropicals that I received from Randy. The china doll tree has gone way over the top of the house and a year ago it was about 24". Everything is thriving this morning. Guess I should get to work.

Your haven is delightful.

Christi

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Jeanne - your garden looks BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the tour!

Hugs and X's Christi...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks great Jeanne!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Dave, Christi, Jen and Pepper! I really enjoy it! The patio cover really keeps the sun off of the living room window so it helps to keep it cooler. I'm hoping that it will keep the electric bill down during the summer.

I have been taking it easy. I think I over did it during Spring Break. Now I am paying for it.

Hope everyone is OK. Christi, just give the sago lots of water and it will probably put out new fronds, ours did.

Aloha!
Jeanne

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Jeanne,
your tropical garden looks marvelous! Thank you for showing it to us! All your hard work payed off!
Alexandra

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You've been busy! it looks great Jeanne! are you spending more time outside now? I'd like a chair and a margarita please.!
If your needing more Papaya....well see the picture

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.