Vines for shade?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

What would work for a trellis that only gets sun from mid afternoon on? There are Clematis now, but the growth looks very puny.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How many hours of sun does it get? Based on what you said it sounds to me like it probably gets close to 4 hrs or so of afternoon sun, so I'd be looking for a vine that likes sun if I were you--shade lovers will fry if they get that much afternoon sun, especially in an area with warmer summers. Although full sun is typically considered at least 6 hrs, I think that if you're getting at least 4 hrs in the afternoon you could probably grow most vines that like full sun and would be happy with the other aspects of your climate. If you're only getting a couple hours then it's a tougher situation, shade lovers might not appreciate the PM sun but sun lovers won't get quite enough light.

This message was edited May 27, 2009 12:03 PM

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Probably 5-6 hours of sun in the afternoon- obviously not enough for the 4 clematis vines. I will take a photo.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it's getting 5-6 hrs of afternoon sun that should be enough for the majority of sun loving vines (I have two clematis growing in areas that get less sun than that and they're fine). I suspect the problem with the clematis is something else other than getting too little sun.

Portland, OR

Clematis are heavy feeders and drinkers!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

JoParrott, I have a Clair de Lune clematis that gets very little sun and it's blooming already. I got it in 2006 from Bluestone. It was slow taking off, but has done fine ever since.

This was taken at 3:00 pm. the other day. It's a west facing wall shaded by a walnut tree all afternoon.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/CLCDP.html

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Close up of Claire

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.