Young Magnolia with a double leader

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a friend who planted this Magnolia in her yard. She asked me if she should remove one of the leaders coming out at the base. I thought she should, but told her I would ask for some opinions here before she should do anything. After I took this pic we pruned some of the lower branches and I should have taken the picture after we'd done that, but I had already put away my camera. The next picture shows the double leader up close.

Thumbnail by miatablu
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

The double leader at the very base.

Thumbnail by miatablu
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Do you know specifically which Magnolia this is? Many are by nature large multi-stemmed shrubs. If this is one of those, cutting off one shoot might only prompt the tree/shrub to produce others. Magnolias really don't respond well to pruning. They're famous for producing water shoots, and slow to callous over a cut. See if you can do a little homework on the cultivar. Judging from the photo, what you have there is not a tree in standard form but a large shrub.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Another option is to tie the second leader down into a more horizontal position to encourage it to be a branch. Just don't pull down too hard in case it breaks anything.

Resin

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That's a really neat strategy. Thanks Resin. I hadn't ever considered that idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.