Leaving grass in the soil-bad idea?

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Yesterday I was pulling up some strips of grass around the edge of a bed I was enlarging. Since I was getting a lot of soil attached to it, and I was in a hurry to finish before it started pouring, I just flipped over the strips to fill in the divots. Then I added layers of compost, newspaper, and mulch. Will this be detrimental to plants as the sod breaks down? It didn't even occur to me that it might until today.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't think so. Once the grass has decomposed it will add nutrients to your soil - which is a good thing.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The grass turned under will be fine. Depending on how deeply planted it may try to grow back up though. I have grass that has popped back up like this. I tilled under an area. Added soil conditioners and then put 6-8 inches of mulch/soil/compost on top of the tilled area and some of the grass has found it's way back up! Putting down newspaper or something to keep the weeds from growing back through is a good idea. I did that on my last 2 beds and the paper has already decomposed and the grass did not come back in the middle of my garden like the other couple places.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I'll start putting in plants when/if it dries out a little :~P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.