I've never seen this before...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

A patch of coneflowers volunteered behind our workshop, no doubt spread by birds. I liked them and have left them alone. This spring, I found a cluster of them with the petals in a pinwheel pattern.

Thumbnail by podster

Is this a mutation or reverting to another type? If I saved seed, would it do the same thing next yearor be normal?

Thumbnail by podster
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Cool! I had a white one like this last year. It's possible they could come up true from seeds. The only way to find out is to try. My plant like this last year had tons of blooms like this. I loved it!

Here's a photo of one of my white plants.

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

Here it is from below. I'm taking divisions of mine this year. I think it's cool that you have a pink one!

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

Cool photos! I haven't checked closer yet but suspect this is one plant as there are quite a few pinwheel blooms clustered together. Did you have more than one bloom like that?

I had one plant only. It's got buds now. I plan on watching it closer this year. I think your plant is awesome!

Glad you marked yours and hope you will let us know if it blooms in the same manner. I'm thinking of saving seed just to see...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.