Which coneflowers have black stems?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I thought that after midnight was the only one. I had two previously, but I think I killed one last spring. At the time, it took so long to emerge from the ground that I thought that it hadn't made it through the spring and ended up killing it when it finally began to come up. After midnight is also classified as a dwarf.

I noticed over the weekend that I have a tall coneflower with black stem. My after midnight has emerged and is easily half the height of the other conflower. I'm stumped as to what this coneflower could be. It doesn't have flowers yet, although a couple of mine have already begun to bloom. Is there a tall coneflower with a black stem?

This is a picture of after midnight last summer.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Pennefeather -

Which coneflower (the pink one) is that in the background on the right side?

(Sorry I don't have an answer to your question)

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Pennefeather, two that I have with dark stems are 'Merlot' and 'Fatal Attraction'. Both have returned after a snow filled winter.
This is 'Merlot'.

Thumbnail by ngam
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I have Merlot. It looks a lot like yours. It could be an After Midnight seedling. I have had some came up from seeds like that.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Merlot is really dark and Elton Knight has a slightly less dark stem.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I guess that I will have to wait until this blooms to figure it out. If it wasn't twice the size of the after midnight, I wouldn't be questioning what which coneflower this is.

Knitty knatty38, that is probably kims knee high in the background. I recently saw that they now that a red version, although it looked like fuschia on the website I saw

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.