Purple Astilbe "wilt"??

Huntersville, NC

i often "hold" plants up to 4 weeks before I actually plant in my garden.
This is to prevent infected plantings, unbeknownst to me.

Yet low and behold a Purple Astilbe purchased from one of our VERY reputable nurseries, had began a 'wilt'.

Am I correct in reading this wilt is very serious??

Plant and soil - ALL must be discarded??

Can anyone refer me to additional pics of this misfortune??

plz advise . . .

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Is it still in the pot it came in? It may be dying from not being planted. It could just be to root bound. Sorry no one answered you sooner.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hmmmmm. I think we've all been out in our gardens.

I haven't ever heard of a viral, bacterial or fungal "wilt" that affected to Astilbe. They do need shade and water. Are you sure that they just aren't rootbound in the pots and unable to absorb the water they need? Can you put them in a quarantined holding bed that stays moist and see if they don't recover?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Fusarium wilt can affect astilbe. However it's not common. You are correct that disposing of the plant and the soil is the only remedy. Have you cut a stem at the base to check for brown vascular tissue? That's a confirming diagnosis. I'd also get my money back. That disease came in the soil with that plant.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow. I'm not familiar with Fusarium. Good thing to look out for.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It's not common. In this case the grower is at fault. It's the gift that keeps on giving too. The fungus can stay in the soil for 2-4 years. It can spead through susceptible plants indefinitely. I hope 50glee can take the infected plants back for both compensation and to put the garden center/nursery/retailer on notice. Diseases are easy enough to come by in the garden without unknowingly introducing one.

If you see a plant that's well watered and sitting in the shade, but partially wilted take a closer look at it. It may be just recovering from being dry or it could be a problem.

Huntersville, NC

thanks snapple - once i get my other babies taken care of Ill address the trouble maker!

it IS good to know just HOW to check for such things!! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.