Summer... share your pic's

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Is it summer yet ?
The other thread was getting rather long so please continue here.
It is great to see others garden photos
Two clematis growing together.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

My painted daisy are in full bloom

Thumbnail by gardengus
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful flowers gardengus!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

gardengus, those painted daisies look so happy. I wintersowed som e this year, and hope they look that nice when they bloom next year.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

gardengus,the painted daisys are hotttt,are they full sun? waiting on my clematis to bloom I have 3 colors together.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow, such great color!

I'll add to the show with some penstemon barbatus 'Rondo Mix.' This is blooming with only a couple hours of direct sun, so I'd say it's a good one to try for shade tolerance.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

"Cardinal" Columbine

Thumbnail by figaro52

A historic NOID Iris.

Thumbnail by figaro52
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I love the penstemon! I planted several this year, none blooming yet. I put mine in morning sun. I've never grown them before and wasn't sure they could handle our hot Texas sun.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

lrwells50 - Penstemon barbatus is supposed to be a full sun plant...more so than the p. digitalis. I was surprised by it blooming so well in the shade. I planted it in this location because I was hoping to have a full sun bed ready later, and I needed a spot to hold it. But that full sun bed hasn't materialized yet, what with all my other projects.

We'll see if it likes this location as much next year. It was planted as a small plug this spring, so it's a first year plant. If it doesn't bloom next year, I have a sunnier spot in mind for it.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Kaylyred, that's great to know about the Penstemon "Rondo Mix". It would look great in one of my gardens that get quite a bit of shade - and the color is just fabulous! I'll have to find some. Figaro, I love that cardinal columbine. I'm going to look for some seeds so I can have it in my hummingbird garden. Do you know how tall it gets? (I like the tall ones).

Kaylyred,that is good to know ,its really showy,i like that,I have planted stock,lupine,cantabury bells,foxglove,malva,hollyhock,these are a test,to see what will do well,i stayed away from any thing tall for years,I have terraced rock gardens all the way around our house,so I thought I had to have little things.so glad ive started planting lots of different heights.

Cliff Dweller, WA(Zone 8b)

Just moved this from the old thread. That'll teach me not to pay attention.

Bea
I purchased Lewisia out of curiosity several years ago.

I lost one mound right away due to it staying to wet )bad location choice), but they are a lot like cactus. Don't like their feet standing in water. However.. the one I planted in a container (in cactus medium) is now 6 years old, and while the main plant looks funky...it continues to bloom it's little heart out annually.

Thumbnail by Highmtn
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

My columbines are done with their spring flush. If I recall they rebloom? But I was excited to see figaro you have yours named Cardinal--I need to label mine so I remember! LOL!

I have several more things in bloom. I'll try to take photos tonight. We have NOT had the most fun spring...very wet and COLD.

Gardenia is really putting on a show

Thumbnail by lrwells50

And my "rooster." I can't remember what the name of the plant is, but it's been blooming since April.

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Cactus, I've found that the columbines will usually continue to bloom as long as you deadhead them. However, that gets pretty tedious after awhile, and I usually don't keep up with it. :-)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Intrigue Rose.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Lupines & Columbine

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

More Lupines

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This Noid Iris is so bright and sunny!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This clematis is huge this year.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Columbines are one of my favorite perennials.
I like the tall long spurred type .

huggergirl, My painted daisy is in full sun, but I have seen them in part shade and still blooming nicely.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Beahive , you have so many lovely flowers , how many acres are you cultivating? ^_^

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

another columbine in full bloom.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

gardengus. I wish I had an acre or two..just a 8000 sq ft lot. I like variety for my photographs so I find a place for everything & my backyard also has my pond.. Hopefully I can take out my front lawn this fall and make room for new things and divisions of what I already have.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I just love lupines. I keep wanting to try them, but I hear they're a little finicky to grow around here.

Beautiful photos, all!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Kayly ..for the cost of a packet of seed.. or seed from some nice DG'er it would be worth a try again.
I can send seed for you to plant if you like when I harvest mine. I am sure I will have more than I can use. D-mail your address if you wish to try again. Anybody else can do the same. I am sure I will have plenty of seeds.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

My hollyhocks have been blooming for a couple of weeks now.

I thought Beahive was on a few acres too. Of course I am on an acre but with it being rocky desert I don't plant on any but the part near the house inside stucco walls.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Section of my front yard with BeBop Rose and daylilies that are not blooming yet.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

An old Siberian Iris I have had forever.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

A section of my roses just about to start blooming.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Red Home Run Roses

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

My pond.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Weigelia in full bloom

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Bea - thanks for the offer! I'll probably pick up a packet of seed around here next year. I started some lupines from seed a couple winters ago, and the foliage was actually looking pretty good last summer (first year). It never did flower, but I have to wonder if it came back this year. Unfortunately, I moved so I haven't been able to see. I'm so tempted to drive up to the old house to ask if I can look over the gardens, but I'm a little too shy to bother the new owners/tenants (whichever they are).

There are so many things I'm missing seeing at the old place right now: the tulips, the huge bleeding heart, the brilliant blue delphiniums, the geraniums, the salvia, the dianthus...

Oh KaylyRed,you are breaking my heart,did you take any plants from your old place??? I hope that when and if we ever move iam able to plan ahead and dig a few things, that could be wishful thinking on my part,I feel your pain, missing your babies.well if Iam successful I will be sending you some seed or better yet a plant.!!!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Huggergirl, I did take just a few things. It was mid-September, and I moved out pretty quickly (my husband and I separated, but we've since reconciled and are working on keeping it together), so I just got a few. I knew I had mostly shade, and the sunny spot was not ready for planting, so I grabbed some shade babies like my toad lilies and Siberian irises. I also snagged my Coconut Lime coneflowers, even though I didn't have a place to plant them, because I love them so much. They're up now and struggling along in a part shade location. I know they'll be much happier once I move them.

I do miss my babies, but just yesterday my husband said to me that he thinks the garden I've created here is more beautiful and serene than the other one. Of course, I disagreed because all I see is the work I have left to do. But he insisted that I'm better at designing and I know the plants that I want (instead of trying out a little of everything) so the result is much more elegant. How can I argue with that? hehe

Here's a photo of my Coconut Lime and Pink Double Delight coneflowers from last year. I miss them! I need to get PDD back in my gardens soon. It was always one of my faves.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

Ok..you guys are playing "leap-frog" in here...LOL

Bea
Cactus Patch...
Everyone.................. WOW...your flowers are stunning!

We are JUST in the process of laying out our white picket fence so I can produce (hopefully) the same look at the photo of the country garden (with white picket fence) posted on the prior thread.

I have been fighting our two huge Cedar trees for years and they will choke out anything within 10 yards of them getting watered. They produce feeler roots that look like dense red LOOFA sponges. I have about 1/4 lb of CA poppy seeds and those are going in along with Becky Shasta's...and wild flower seeds! The Becky's are tough enough to survive living near the Cedars.

I sooooooooooooo want that country look! It's coming! It wil be next year before it's really looking good, but by golly...it's gonna happen!

Off to work! LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos from eveyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.