Some of the Iris in my Garden. Some I could use ID

West Chester, PA(Zone 6b)

This one is 'Busy Being Blue'

Thumbnail by kastrol

'Rhapsody Rose'

Thumbnail by kastrol

This one I could use ID please. Had for a long time..... It looks more blue in photo....It is more lavender

Thumbnail by kastrol

This one I could use an ID as well....

This message was edited May 26, 2009 12:09 AM

Thumbnail by kastrol

This is not one of my favorites..... I do not know it's name.....

Thumbnail by kastrol

I have a good friend that I share plants with....He gave me this Coral one which is really Beautiful.....
But I do not know the name of it.....

Thumbnail by kastrol

Siberian in my pond......Name?.....

Thumbnail by kastrol

Just some photos of Iris in some of my gardens

Thumbnail by kastrol
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lovely irises! It's hard to ID from photos -- blooms can vary, cameras don't always capture "true" colors, and lots of irises have similar descriptions. Often the best you can hope for is to be able to say, "Looks like Earl of Essex." (that's what your purple and white one reminded me of, but that's not it, as your iris has blue beards and more solid markings) Mine end up with names like "Weegy's Purple Iris" LOL.

Another garden

Thumbnail by kastrol

side walkway

Thumbnail by kastrol

I forgot this yellow bearded....It smells like lemons....got from a friend, but do not know the name......

Thumbnail by kastrol
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I love that bed by your side walkway! The brick and that wrought iron fence are a charming backdrop for a very "cottage garden" combo of blooms!

Thanks critterologist. The side garden is a photo from last year. I added an arbor late last summer......photo of this year before iris bloomed

Thumbnail by kastrol
South Hamilton, MA

Photo labeled 'siberian in my pond' is I.pseudocorus. It is an invasive species. So if it forms seedpods, destroy them & watched that the plant stays in a smaller clump so that you can enjoy it, but that it does not spread too far.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

IrisMA is right about the pseudacorus. If you are by any waterways, or large bodies of water, it would actually be best to remove it and destroy it. Even a tiny seed, or a little piece of the plant can start a whole group of new ones. It is harmful to wildlife. If you are not near any bodies of water, continue to enjoy it if you must, but deadhead religiously. Don't let any seeds start at all. And never trade it with anyone.

Now getting down from the podium, your gardens are absolutely beautiful. I love that brick walkway! What a pleasure it must be to stroll out there mornings and evenings!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Your Post #6598540 looks like Rare Treat to me, but there are so many white with purple stitching. It is not Earl of Essex as Critter said.

Rare Treat

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I knew that one looked like something I'd seen before! There are a lot with that color, for sure.

I *love* the arbor gate over your path! Absolutely charming, and very welcoming... I want to tiptoe in & explore!

Thanks for the advice about the pseudacorus. I had no idea. I got it from an annual flower sale that is in my alley behind my house. The people that hold it are supposed to be quite knowledgeable about all kinds of flowers. They told me it was a siberian. Anyway......I live in town, not really near any bodies of water.....but I think I should destroy it all the same. I have some true Siberian (got from a nursery) that I can use instead. My pond is a small formal type anyone have a suggestion what I could use instead? Here is a photo of the pond. (Again...I will remove the iris.....)

Thumbnail by kastrol
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Do you leave the pseudacorus in all winter? Siberian won't do well in the pond, and I doubt a Japanese would winter over for you, but would look absolutely beautiful in there.

I so, so appreciate you destroying the pseudacorous. Take a look at my webpage (it's on my homepage), and I will send you your choice of Japanese Iris Rolling Seas, Silent Thunder, Tropical Storm or species iris Cascade Mist, Gerald Darby, or John Wood. They will all grow in pots in the water, but in the fall you will have to take the pot out and sink them in the ground. My thank you for destroying the pseudacorus.

If you want one of those, just send me a dmail with your name and address, and I will get it out to you.

South Hamilton, MA

Good for you, Polly. A JI would be an addition, smaller flowered one perhaps? Cetainly an asian touch.

pollyk,
Both of the pseudacorous (I had two pots of them in my pond) are no longer for this world. I wrote you a dmail and gave you the info you requested. Thank you so much for all this help and advice. I am new member to Dave's Garden and the more I learn the more I love this place. Not only is it the best site I ever came to for info. but it is also wonderful to talk with other people who share your love for nature and all that it is about.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We are a fun group here on the iris forum. Not a bad egg amongst us, as far as I know. Friendly and kind group. And very caring about the enviroment.

So welcome, and stick with us, and as I have learned much, I'm sure you will too.

And thank you for getting rid of the pseudacorus.

Now you need to learn all about pseudatas, a pseudacorus cross with ensatas, and all about virginicas, and versicolors, and...........So you must stay here.

I will be glad to stay, just make sure you speak English once and awhile.

South Hamilton, MA

ha ha although I.virginica should not have to be translated.

I don't know....does that mean it is from Virginia?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nope, not speaking English. Latin actually. A new foreign language and it's up to you to learn it (with our help of course, LOL).

I can see you'll fit in fine, we have a good sense of humor here, too.

Iris virginica is native to Virginia (surprise, surprise), Florida, Georgia, and other eastern coastal states. the species are not capitalized, by the way, where the named cultivars are. So it would be virginica, versicolor, ensata, but names like Silent Thunder, Rolling Seas etc.

Here's Iris virginica Contraband Girl.

Thumbnail by pollyk
South Hamilton, MA

Caesar and I didn't get along either.

Maybe I should not ask 'who is Caesar'....
polly that photo of Contraband Girl is just lovely! I could look at flowers all day long. I have to be in the garden every day! I love digging in the dirt......Walking around the garden.....smelling the fragrances....
listening to the sounds of nature. I just do not understand people who do not 'take time to smell the flowers!'
I have had Irises in my garden for awhile, but have not really taken the time to learn info about them.
I do spend winter months reading and reading. Also trying to figure out what I can move where ( I am a mover) and where I can put another garden. All of my Iris need divided.....can I do that after they bloom or should I wait until fall? I could start a new garden with them.
So virginica is eastern coast states....is this for Japenese iris only or does it apply to Bearded iris too?

Winnsboro, TX

Kastrol it looks like you and I both need to take this class in Latin. LOL I amazed that I've grown irises for years and when it boils right down to it I know very little about them.

I think I have some of that yellow water iris too and now I guess I'll have to get rid of it. I know how invasive plants can be and I "thought" I was doing so good with it, just to learn it's invasive. I think I have several places on the farm that I need to rid the plant. I'm just not sure how I would remove it from some areas. I think some of it's in the fishing pond too.

I've been getting some different colored La. Irises to go in my new pond out front. Now maybe I should read more about them before buying plants just because their pretty and I think they will look good somewhere.

Best go read about some of them now.
Happy Gardening,
Marian

See how great this site is, we can enjoy and learn at the same time. I think we all buy flowers because they are pretty.... we love to enjoy them....I guess the longer you garden and if you really get into it you just want to learn more about it. Nature is so amazing, how it works and all. People can come along and mess with it...we just have to learn from our mistakes and do everything we can as fellow gardeners to remember the birds, bees and the butterflies. With out them we would not have the flowers.
Happy Gardening too Marian
The rain has stopped and I think I will go dig in the dirt for a bit.
I almost forgot....I just spoke with a friend of mine from MD who was with me when we both bought
Iris post#6598540, and he said his is labeled 'City Lights'.....Doesn't look like that from the photos under plant files....Must have been labeled wrong. Darn thought I had a name.

This message was edited May 27, 2009 2:12 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.