Siberian Iris Turned Brown

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Two of my spring planted siberian iris clumps from my first order have folliage that turned brown and died. Now there are no green fans there at all. When I tug gently on the plant, it does not move so it seems rooted. I would think if it were dead it would just pull out but I could be wrong. I don't think that the fans were suppossed to brown up and die.

I haven't done anything different to these compaired to the others. The roots never dried out before planting and the plants get watered in order not to dry out. If these were daylilies I would not worry as I know they would grow new fans. But just not used to or sure with the Sibs. Should I be worried? Thanks.

South Hamilton, MA

Worry, but keep watering. If the roots are taking hold it is good.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I would just give it some time.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Sometimes it just happens. Put the company you purchased from on notice. It's doubtful they will come back. Do keep watering just in case.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

polly- They are two of the Shaeffer/Sacks intros I bought from Joe Pie Weeds Garden. I can not see how this could possibly be their fault. Plants were nice and healthy when they came here. Roots were not dried out at all.

But I was careful myself and planted right away, made sure they did not dry out during planting and kept them well watered. I just don't understand it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Rita, believe me, it happens. Who knows why. JPW would want to know, and take care of it. They are such good people.

That's why we guarantee the beardless irises, because things like this happen. If anyone purchased beardless from me, and they died, I would certainly hope to be notified. In fact I would pout if I wasn't, LOL.

It doesn't have to be anything they did, or that you did. Some of the beardless irises can be finicky, most are not. Some just don't like being transplanted in spring, some don't like being transplanted in fall. Don't worry about why, just try them again, and give the vendor the opportunity to solve the problem.

If you had done something wrong, let them dry out, not planted them for weeks, well it would be your fault. But you said you did not let them dry out, and I've seen pictures and they look well cared for.

I've grown beardless for over 20 years. I purchased a Caitlin's Smile from JPW years ago. It died. Of all people I should know how to care for it, but it died. I told JPW I had lost it, that it was absolutely not their fault, and that I wanted to purchase another. Their response was simply, when can we send it to you. No request for money for the iris or postage.

And what they said is exactly what I'm telling you, it just happens.

This message was edited May 25, 2009 11:28 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.