Strange foliage on new seedling

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I have some new seedling with very different foliage on them, has this happened to anyone else and if so do they bloom normally.

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is a close-up of the leaf.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is another seedling with different foliage.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Close-up of the leaf.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Still another seedling.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Close-up.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is one that the foliage turn to a reddish-brown color.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is a close-up of it.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is another with both strange shape and color.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Close-up of this one.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Are these tropical or hardy hibs?

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This one looks like a maple tree leaf.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Close-up.

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

They are all tropical hibs seedling. Hardy hibs don't do well on the island for some reason I don't know. I tried the hardy and they all died.

Wilfred

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is another one.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Close-up.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

And anothere one.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

And here is almost the last one I have a photo of.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Those look really cool. Maybe you'll get some unique and awsome flowers. Nice. I like the different shapes the leaves have.
Pam

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks PamelaQ, yea they do look kind of cool and I'm hoping they produce something different and unique, It's funny the way these came out since the parent plants have normal leafs and do not look anything like thees do. I don't know why but almost one out of every 10 seedling that sprout out have some strange leaf pattern, shape or color to it, already the new seedling are doing the same thing.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This one completely boggle me, it growth is completely different from anything I've seen, at first I thought that a seed from something else was growing in the pot, but that was impossible since I mark were I plant every single seed in the pot to know exactly that, that its a hibiscus growing and nothing else.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is another photo.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's a close-up of the leaf.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's a close-up of the center of the plant.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is the last photo of it, also the last photo I've taken of the seeding even doe I have more. as soon as they bloom I will post them.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Those are some funky foliage photos Wilfred. I remember once having a seedling with heart shaped foliage, but I never saw it get to bloom. Either I killed it or it died on me before that ever happened. I can't explain the foliage on the first few pictures. Only time will tell.
Jon

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Just know one thing Jon, can't wait to see what on earth will the blooms look like, who know, they might even have pointy petal on the blooms. Now that for sure would be something different alright.

Wilfred

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Do any of the hibiscus professional experts know why this happens and what causes it.

Wilfred

I'm definitely not an expert and have no idea. I would just assume it's genetics from either side of the cross and/or some kind of mutation along the way.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Well, I guess I can call them "The New Mutant Hibs Series", you know like Mutant Ninja Turtles, LOL! To bad I can't add ninja to the name, they just don't fight back.

Wilfred

Yep, you'll just have to see what you have when it puts out some blooms. The waiting and growing part is also a good thing. It's always good to have a hibiscus or a few you haven't seen bloom yet. It's something to look forward to.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I know what you mean, it's a wonderful filling when you get a new seedling to bloom and it turns out to be gorgeous and different , you just what to show everybody your new baby.

Wilfred

Herceg Novi, Montenegro

I have one hibiscus 2 year old with 3 finger leaf,I get seeds like hibiscus rosa sinensis seed,I hope this year it will gave flower ,I can wait,I also have one with red leafs unusuall too,I wait it to get flower also..strange mutation they can have ,it is truth.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Very beautiful foliage of them all Wilfred. I bought seeds from Hawaii last year of tropicals one was like rust-coloured as small new seedling but turn green when it got older. Some have enormous big leaf, but no one have maple tree shaped, I had liked that.
My plants are now 1 year and about 30 to 60 centimetre high. I wait for flower this summer.
The rust dotted one are now green.
This is the one with bronzed leaf Sylvia

http://www.hobbyodlaren.com/hibronze.html#

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Also this are little unlike usual Hibiscus with yellow leaf nerve.
http://www.hobbyodlaren.com/hirubyr.html#
Sylvia

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

okijaner, has yours bloomed yet, if so I would like to see a photos of it.
hobbyodlaren, I would say the same to you, once it bloom please post a photo of it, love two see what came out of it.
As for mien, sometime I get all different types of foliage from one seed pod, very strange isn't it. I'm sure going to post photos when my hibs finally decide to bloom, can't wait to see them.

Wilfred

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I hope for flower this summer
Sylvia

Herceg Novi, Montenegro

no flower yet because I cut woods well in spring,I hope this days first will must appear.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Well in that case I just have to wait until you both get blooms on your hibs you can take photos of and post them. Hope they bloom soon for you both.

Wilfred

Herceg Novi, Montenegro

Wilfred I will be glad to share with you flower pictures,because I expect it 3. season now,first one they was small,last they give me no flowers,this year I hope to best results.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.