Calling All Kentucky Ladies

smalltown, IL

Good Morning on this cool midwest spring day..It's cloudy and about 53 here in the midwest..I am going through a very rough divorce and would like to move to Ky..My friend has offered to let me come stay with her until I get back on my feet which I will be looking for a job... And it would give me a new place to start over.
She lives in the Campbellsville,KY area.
But I'd like to hear from you about the area you are in..
Here are a few things I enjoy doing ..Camping,birdwatching,gardening(still a brown thrumb) and just simple life..
I enjoy going to yard sale flea markets and antique shops(which I know nothing about.Just like the old smells and looks).
I enjoy Amish areas and supporting local Farms and Upick's farms and farmstands.
Thank you for your time and help.
Chinook Cottage.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello!
I am not a "lady", but I love living in Morehead in the eastern part of the state. It has a lot of what you may be looking for. It's right on interstate 64 which can take you to all the larger cities in Kentucky. We are in the Daniel Boone national forest with a really nice lake for all water activities(camping, fishing, swimming, Etc.) We have the University, Morehead state. We have Amish communities close by where I go to produce auctions to get all or most of my canning veggies. We also have tons of festivals in all or most of our counties close by and of course in our county also. We have lots of music and outdoor music festival(mostly bluegrass) Lots of art to see also, due to the University and we have a Folk art center(museum)

I have been enjoying Morehead since I was 16 when we first found the lake here(Cave run) I plan to spend the rest of my life here. I was a transplant from OKLA. and my mother had family , so we moved here. It is a town full of gently rolling hills and has a "rain forest" feel to it. There are trees everywhere! If you would like any more info please feel free to contact me. Here is a link for you to look over.

I hope this transition is not to painful for you and you find your "forever" home.
George
http://www.moreheadky.com

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, Chinook, I think you would like the area around Campbellsville. (Of course, I don't live there either, but I wish I did!) We were just on a driving tour of KY this month and spent a lot of time enjoying the area there.

Good luck!

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Chinook,

Campbellsville, KY is about 35 miles from me in south central KY. Green River Lake is near there..and Lake Cumberland is in my county if you like water....boating or fishing or just relaxing near water...lol.. This is a lovely part of KY with hilly and flat lands...green ..green..and green.

There is one road in Campbellsville on the way to the hospital that has beautifully decorated yards with all kinds of flowering shrubs and plants. I love to drive on that road. The rest of the town is cool too. It is dry like in no liquor, but just 20 minutes away is wet.

They have the University of Campbellsville which is growing by leaps and bounds.
They have festivals and art exhibits.
There is a super Wal-mart , Lowe's , and one bowling alley among other stores of course..lol..
Don't know about the job situation there. There are several schools if you can do something in that area...teacher, teacher's assistant, busdriver, secretary, etc. The school system is always dependable for good pay and benefits....lol..

Sorry about the divorce. Maybe starting anew will be the best thing that happens to you. Good Luck,
Judy

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What kind of work would you be needing to find?

Marilyn Glen st. Mar, FL(Zone 9a)

This message was edited Jun 10, 2009 3:37 AM

Taylorsville, KY

Hi.....I am actually going to Cambellsville tomorrow to meet with my husband's extended family. His dad and his family had a farm there but all the kids left and mainly moved to Louisville. I moved here in 1996 from Kalamazoo, Michigan. My husband and I have 6 acres in Taylorsville where we built our small little cottagey house in 1999. I LOVE Kentucky. My husband and I actually met at the Kentucky Derby in 1980 and I have been coming to the state (before I moved here) regularly and find it a warm and hospitable place. The folks here are VERY nice. When I moved here, I was amazed that everyone speaks to you....like at the gasoline stations, etc. It kinda seems a little bit "simpler" to me which I mean in a good way. I have REALLY enjoyed gardening here. I started gardening in Michigan but really took to it here. Also, in SW MI we get tons of lake effect (affect??) snow and here it's sunny and bright A LOT of the winter but we do still get all the seasons. I've always been partial to the south, central part of the state as I'd like to get more in to the country but being close to Louisville (30 miles) does have it's advantages so we're likely to stay put. BUT, I would highly recommend KY as a place to live. I, too, went through a divorce and I've always been glad I "started over" in another place as I think it helps you move forward without so many "reminders" around. I go back to Kalamazoo and can hardly wait to go get back "home" now. If you have any questions, etc. let me know....kim

Taylorsville, KY

I just got back from Campbellsville (spelled correctly this time), and I think it would be a very nice place to live IF you like country, etc. The drive from Taylorsville, through Bardstown, through Lebannon then on to there was a really pretty drive and is one of the prettiest parts of the state, I think. I could easily retire in that area. We met at a restaurant called Orvilles. Then we went out to see the family homestead and then on to the cemetary. I'd never been and we had a really nice day and I'm so glad we can go back to see those sights if and when something happens to his dad. I really liked Lebannon and it was much bigger than I imagined so I would think there might be some opportunities there and it's not very far...I think less than 10 miles. I sure wish you the best Chinook Cottage.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We live in a nice area but work is scarce unless you have a skill the mines can use. We have 4 seasons and winter is not horribly hard most years. Can't beat it for sightseeing and camping, hiking and such. Gardening is good though it starts late and you only have one season except for cold weather crops. Flat land is at a premium. Folks are friendly. It is yard sale and thrift store heaven. LOL We have lots of horses if you have skills in that area. We are only an hour from Hunnington WV and an hour from Ashland, Ky which is a good sized city for more employment opportunities. We also have several small hospitals in the area if you have medical skills. We love it here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.