I solved the ant problem in my cubbards!

South Wales, NY

Hi everyone. I am new here and I want to share my easy and safe solution to anyone who has an ant problem in their kitchens.
Last year I had an invasion of tiny ants in all my food cubbards. I removed all the food from the cubbards,checking for stray ants in packages, sealed all food into containers, sprayed the inside of the cubbards with poison, left it over night, scrubbed out the poison the next day and put all the food back. Well, a few days later they were back again in full force! I tried the liquid ant bait....it helped some but they were still there!
I remembered that ants didn't like cinnamon or so my mother thought. I thought it was silly and I fiqured it was the powdery texture that they didn't like and not necessarily the smell or taste of the cinnamon itself. Sooooooooo....I thought baby powder is safe and might work even better than cinnamon. I once again emptied all the cubbards, checking all the food and made sure there were no stray ants in any of the boxes. I sealed up tight any open packages like before. I then sprinkled a little baby powder on every perimeter cubbard shelf...not the whole shelf but along the cracks where the shelves meet the walls. I put back all the food and I haven't found a single ant!! They just will not walk on that powder. As an experiment I found a stray ant on the countertop and made a ring of powder around it. The ant stayed in that circle and would not move from there for hours! By keeping the powder close to the wall its not a mess in the cubbards. I try not to put any food too close to the wall, like 1/2 inch away. I still have the same powder in there since last summer and I have not seen one ant in there this spring yet. I am planning to vacuum out the cubbards and putting a little fresh powder in for spring cleaning. It really works!

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!