Viburnum suspensum help

Walterboro, SC

Does anyone know if Viburnum suspensum will do well here even in winter in zone 8a in Walterboro? Just bought 8 for foundation shrub and have already planted half of them. I've been reading contradicting numbers on their cold hardiness. Don't want a shub that I'll have to run out and blanket in the cold. Any help would be so appreciated. I'm wondering should I keep [planting or return them for a different variety. But they look so nice. Any other good evergreen viburnums for zone 8a? Thanks

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This link to Floridata might have some addtional info: http://www.floridata.com/ref/V/viburn_s.cfm
It sounds like it is marginal for 8a so, for the first few winters if it happens to get very cold, you might want to do the blanket thing. Some of the evergreen Viburnums can get winter burn here if we get cold + dry + wind.

Walterboro, SC

Thanks growin.... I think you're right, I'll just baby them first couple winters and see how it goes. Another local nursery said maybe a little damage if really cold but nothing severe enough to destroy it.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

We use quite a bit of Viburnum davidii around here. If you can find them, Viburnum cinnamomifolium, Viburnum odoratissimum, Viburnum henryi and V. tinus is used alot but has bug/powdery mildew problems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.