How to descurf the scurfiest 2300 lb,18hh hairiest girl?

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I swear, by the time I get the shoulder done, I am exhausted. Grooming JoyJoy is
a two day job. : )

I am using a dog slicker brush on her now to pull out and loosen the scurf. then,
a kitchen scrubbing brush to flick the scurf to the top and then a grooma groomer
to rub and pull some loose hairs, then I stop, wipe my face on the inside of my
t-shirt, wipe the slicker brush, bang the gooma grooma , kiss Joy and talk to her
for one second, and then start all over again.

She, dearest heart, is hard to shed out. the hair sticks in there like glue, and the
dusty scurf keeps coming. Her feathers are full of flakes and I brush for hours
to get them out.

Under her manes is impossible. She has more hair than Carter has liver pills.
You run the slicker brush up and pull out all that soft winter hair, and you have to
do it a million times. I wish she was used to the vacum sweeper, my other horses
I could take to the carwash and spray and vac (really). She is an old Amish auction
save, and would faint at the sound of a vacum and trembles at the sight and sound
of a hose. My dearest Joy is 26 years old now, and her tail that was docked is getting
long, but she cannot raise it to do her business cleanly. So, now,I have to cut the
under hair to get out all the bits of winter goo that is stuck there. Poor thing. What a
life...when she came home with me, she didn't know what an apple was, a carrot or
a piece of cake with frosting, a cupcake or a corncake muffin, blueberry muffins or
anything. Applesauce cake was viewed by her as a dangerous object. Now, she
sees me with my fresh hot baked horse or people goodies and she is the first over
in the goodie line. LOL.

Does anyone have tips for getting her groomed to "an inch of her life"? I can see the
shine sometimes, but she is still just so, so , gooky, sticky and hairy.

She comes over to me now for kisses and hugs and puts her big head down into
my chest and we just rub and hug for minutes at a time. Its a love session now.
My big boy Ollie sometimes bangs his stall when I pay too much time and attention
to Joyous and not him. He is my love slave. : 0

Spring time-I love it
Sher

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
This thread has 149 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!