Bleeding heart seeds

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have bleeding heart seeds.....should I have started them to plant out this spring? Can I wait and sow them to plant out in the fall?

Thoughts?

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

No experience with the seeds, Jen - sorry.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

no clue either... sorry

I googled bleeding heart seeds and cant find anything.
I did read it is quicker to start by cuttings.
I am no help.

Granville Beach, NS(Zone 6a)

Flowerjen you may have some problems unless you kept them moist.
According to Gardens North's Germination Instructions: "Seed cannot tolerate dry storage and have been moist packed since collection. Requires cold treatment."
This is the same as the magnolia seeds I purchased this year which are currently in the fridge for three months.
Gardens North is a great site for information and I have been very happy with seeds I have purchased from them. Every package comes with detailed germination instructions and I have better than 90% success with everything I have tried.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've had mine in the fridge this whole time...maybe have to soak them before planting???? Ugh.

No one knows about the timing of sowing, huh???

Redding, CT

As the seed pods mature I plant them immediately around the parent plant. The following spring I find small bleeding hearts popping up.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What month do you do that?

Redding, CT

I have been doing it the past few weeks as the pods mature.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

how small are the pods... don't think I have ever noticed if mine ever had any

I bought a plant thinking it was a bleeding heart but the girl at the counter said begonia! I will get a pic later.

Redding, CT

As the flowers fade you should see pods on the same branch as the flowers. Pods probably isn't the correct terminology, sort of thin, tiny green beanlike things, dangling from the stems as the flowers fade.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the bean like things have seeds in them??? or it is the seed?

Redding, CT

The beanlike things have seeds in them. I just take the beanlike thing and plant that.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had no idea.... thanks!

Redding, CT

Your welcome. I have always loved bleeding hearts and now I have them all over.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Randy does too... but I love/hate them... love them when they are blooming... hate that they don't last long enough ... even if the foliage lasted though the summer I would be ok with them... just hate the big hole in July

Gotta mix them in with other stuff that will hide the 'holes'.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hey not all of us are as good as you... I do what I can sir

:)

Not good - just 'been there...'

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

well come here!!!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Now I know what the long green things are. I'll try to plant them and see what happens.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

think I need a Victor consult

:)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

jen i agree that you should just plant them - as for the timing i would do it when the mother plant dies back - i have volunteer bh all over my yard and around the original plants

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So what month do they die back?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

well i would say in the next three weeks they will go dormant - sorry thought you had some there and could watch them.

Yes - by July they are usually all yellow.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, nope just the seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.