GETTING RID OF LILY OF THE VALLEY

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have a fast and effective way of getting rid of this invasive plant. I pull it up every year out of this one flower bed, and it comes back double. I would hate to use Roundup on it for fear of killing off some other perennials that are close by.

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'll take some Deann. I've never been able to grow lily of the valley for some reason. They don't multiply for me. I have a few under my pine tree but they've never spread. I'd love to come dig some out for you. Let me know.

Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda

Oh My God....you can come here and dig up all of them if you want.....just give me a time....i am here most of the time.....will be gone on Thursday morning real early to Glen's for thier bedding sale....6.99 a flat and 6.99 for hanging baskets...

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

OK, I'll plan on one day this week. I'll give you a call before we come. I'll bring my #1 digger, Vern. :)

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know I have dug and dug mant times and places!!! Very mathotical and dig! Then I have a pile of roots, and they still come up. However I do have a whole lot less ;) I am so sorry I ever planted them in any of my gardens. Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't mind the lily of the vally but I sure wish I knew how to get rid of creeping charlie short of killing the whole yard!!!! Deann my L V s don't seem to spread much hummm if they did I would not like them so much ;0)
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ha, I have both of those started in areas where I want ground cover. I am so bad.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i dug all mine out last fall in the bed next to the house and im working on the ones in the big garden
I got this weedkiller stuff from NHGC last yr to try and it worked great!!! :)
But the best thing was digging down about 4inches across the top of the garden-got to get all the roots!!!

wish i hadnt planted them either-but they do smell good LOL

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori

I got that weedkiller too from NHGC.....got it late in the fall and really have not had the chance to use it till now.

Deann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

I would give just about anything for a TRUCKLOAD of lily of the valley!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Birdie

My door is open....come on over and start digging it up.....

Deann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Deann,if i had even 1 free minute................i'd be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

If you don't get every single root, you will still have lily of the valley. I dig it up and sell it off at my garden club plant sale. I love it in the spring, but once it's done blooming I hack significant sections out and it's off to the sale.
Martha

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Birdie
I'm about 30 minutes north of G.R.
I have lots of LOTV if you ever get up this way.

How about covering the plant you want to kill with black plastic?
I have some invasive flower that i have to try to kill this year too.
I was going to try the black plastic.
On hot sunny days it suppose to kill fast.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have an old telephone pole set in as one edge of my garden where the lily of the valley is. it is paved right up to the edge on the other side of the pole from the driveway. This patch has been dug several times but I still have lily of the valley growing under the pole and up between the paving and the pole in a space you couldn't imagine that a plant would fit. It blooms too. You might kill some of it with the black plastic, but then you might only get the leaves that are out. It will still have roots and new plants below ground. You really have to dig.
Martha

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

I sprayed mine with ROUNDUP and dug plants and I still have LOV in my flower bed. It's almost impossible to get rid of it in one or two years. You have to be persistant. I remember when I had Bishops Weed in one of the beds. I thought I had got it all and two or three lears later it was back. I got the shovel out right away and it is now gone.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

sounds like my violets I dig and pull buckets of it every spring and summer I love them but good grief enough is enough ;0(
Gloria

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

you can have mine to !! my mom loves them so what I had to do was create a "special spot" for them I dug down about 2 feet used plastic to limit there crawling area and the edging is 2 feet down and a foot above ground and they still jumped out !! I weed whip them all the time ~~

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

actually I do get near cedar springs everyone once in a while. is there any times that are better than others? Maybe I'll drag garden lady (Ronna along) :)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I got rid of two large flats of lily of the valley plants this week for my garden club plant sale. They can go take over someone else's yard now. They paid me for them! I am always amazed at this. Actually, in return, I got a bunch of pachysandra which I am going to plant on a big bare spot on my hillside. It's not near the lawn and can run where it pleases down there. does anybody have any of the pink LOV? I have the original 6 I bought from Spring Hill or somewhere. They grow, they bloom, but they have not run away in the last 8 years.
Martha

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

gardenmart.........I would feel so guilty taking money for such invasive plants......

Deann

Lachine, MI

Hi you all- if you really want to get rid of it...heres how...
First you need to find concentrated strengh round up( tractor farm suppy has it)
Cut each lov and using a paint brush paint full strengh round up directly on the cut.
You have only about 2 minutes to do the above as a healing seal will form after 2 minutes.
Good luck all any questions - shoot em at me-LOL
Sandy

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I sold them to fellow gardeners who know what can happen. I did not charge a lot, however! These gardeners are also getting hosta and some other plants as well.
Martha

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

There are many of us that still love Lilies of the Valley, invasive or not! :)

Mary Ellen

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I planted a few in an area by the garage and hope that they spred. Grass will not even grow in this shady spot. So far they have done ok, I have a few more this year.

They do have their place. But I can see if planted in the wrong place they could be dangerous.

Like my oragano. I put in one plant on the bank by the lake in the rocks. I now have about 42 plants, some clumps in the lawn, walk areas etc. At least they get pretty purple flowers and I can make great pasta dishes. Ha.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have tons or oragano too, violets and creeping charlie from my neighbors yard.

Michigander, I wonder if your method would work on these as well.

Lachine, MI

Hemlady, are the off springs in your flower gardens, lawn or where? Then maybe I can help you out. plmk- thank you-
Sandy

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

I would like to take this opportunity to all of you Lily of the Valley loves to come to my garden and help yourself.....Lunch and tools will be provided... LOL

Deann

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

lol deann, if I but lived closer.....

Mary Ellen

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

And I will get in line for you to come here next, ha ha!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes Michigander. The violets and sage are in the flowerbeds. I have a bit of the creeping charlie in the flowers but that one is mostly in the lawn.

Lachine, MI

Hemlady,
We have another method we use also for areas like in flower beds, lawns or iris beds, or daylily beds. Using a plastic glove- place on your hand. Now take a cotton brown jersery glove and place over the plastic glove. Dip your fingers into the round up solution( and in this case it can be the already diluted type like from wally world etc)
Wring out slightly but keeping the solution a little better then damp-But NOT DRipping
touch the accessible problem plant areas that DO NOT overlap onto other plants nearby( if any solution gets on any other plant it will die)
One can also touch blades of grass in their daylilies and iris beds without having to dig up and clean out the grass- the round-up will only go into the grass roots- not the flower roots.
Any other questions...plz ask
Garden Hugs,
Sandy

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sandy!!!!!

Cindy

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

ACKKKKKKKKKKKKK , Gloria you have creeping charlie?? I went to menards and paid $2.50 for a 2" little pot that had one tiny string of it!! I might not live long enough to see it grow into a nice little patch?? AND, I just love LOV, but don't any of them here either, DH tilled them up at BC house then neighbor unloaded tons of dirt and gravel that spilled onto our side of fence on lilly of valley :(

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

tootsie

Am I hearing you want Lilly of the Valley?????? You've been promising to come on over and see my garden for a long time.....so why don't you come on over....dig up as many Lilly of the Valley plants that will fit in your trunk and we can have lunch outside and catch up on our gardening. Maybe Dori will come with you. She knows the way to my house, and I promise I will make home made icecream.....I can invite Brenda too and gloria and anyone else within miles of me.....we can have a Garden Party...

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

OHHHHHHHH BOYYYYYYYYYYY, sounds like fun, fun, fun :) I talked to Dori the other day, she was going to get ANOTHER CAMERO!! I looked for her this morning, but could not find her?? Most likely in that CAMERO, LOL

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

seen Dori Tuesday yes she got the Camero !!!! and I would love to go to your house Deann this month has been a mess around here but things are smoothing out now and Pat I have Lilly Of The Vally also so get over here then we can go get some at Deanns then you will have lots for both houses ;0)
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a wonderful plan:) I tried im'ing her this morning, either out in GH or still sweeping, LOL

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

I myself have not heard from Dori in ages.......I don't have my Messenger anymore, and that is where I would find her....I just have Yahoo messenger now.....But ya all give me a heads up when your coming so I will make the Icecream a day ahead.....

Deann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

wish garden lady and i could come!! Birdie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.