found a box

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

of bearded iris shipped from a grower last fall
should I just toss them? any chances or ideas?
and yes...I feel pretty silly for letting them sit unattended

thanks~

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

plant them.

i sent some to a friend a couple of years ago and her husband thought it was a christmas gift box, put it in the closet and promptly forgot about it. she found them in may, planted them, they grew and some even bloomed last year. she sent me a picture this year and it's a sight to behold! full bed, all in bloom.

ok--I'll try it.
They all look dried up, but I can still see the writing on the foliage. How should I treat them? Just as I would normally?

Thanks!

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

my friend had never grown an iris before in her life. she planted them directly in the ground and watered them. she actually buried the rhizomes, but since she lives out in eastern oregon, that was ok.

you can soak them but they will regenerate and soak up moisture from the ground. be sure to water them well after planting and if it's not raining, water at least twice a week for the first couple of weeks.

look on the bright side, if you throw them away, they are gone forever. if you plant them, they may all grow!

This will be a fun & interesting experiment.
I just dug out many plants from my 10+ yr garden and have passed most of them around to family/friends. It will be a treat if any of these grow--although I'd be placing them in others' gardens as well, but their resilience would make them extra special.

Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.