3 quick questions on pests and clematis.

(Zone 4a)

1. Do ants bother clematis? Do they cause problems for them at all?

2. There was some type of mixture of water soap and oil for earwigs. Does it work? I noticed that one of my newly emerging clematis have little holes chewed out so I am wondering if I just pour this mixture on the ground around the clematis if it will kill any earwigs in the area or does it simply repel them?

3. Back to ants again....it there some type of soapy mixture that I can use on my flower pots to get rid of them and is safe for plants? Help!

Appleton, WI

Ants don't bother clematis, unless there is a nest among the root mass.

The holes could be from earwigs. Ants kill earwigs

The soap and oil have to be sprayed directly on the earwigs to work. What it does is block their airway and they suffocate.

Pepper Wax Spray is very effective at preventing earwig damage. It's expensive if you have a sever infestation, but for one plant it's worth it.

Buy small ant traps and place on the soil. Make sure to remove the traps before you water.

(Zone 4a)

Julia I hate to ask but do you think you could provide me with a link to that pepper wax spray? I am very interested and I don't care of the cost.

Appleton, WI

I am happy to provide the link. I typically don't like to promote products, but this has saved me from a lot of damage in the past. Actually, I should get some myself.

I can get hot pepper wax spray locally. I haven't seen it in every place that sells garden supplies, but I have seen it at smaller hardward stores with limited space who carry only the most useful items. Maybe Canadian Tire has it?

It's completely safe for humans and is actually edible so the only harm is does is to the chewing insects.

http://www.hotpepperwax.com/Products/Overview.html

Delaware, OH

careful if it has oils in it and gets on the plants in full sun. can burn, new delicate foliage.

(Zone 4a)

Thanks a bunch!!!! Do I spray it on the plant or just around the base in the dirt??

Appleton, WI

You spray it on the leaves.

I don't recall it burning the leaves, I don't think it does, but you might want to test it first.

(Zone 4a)

Yes I agree or maybe just spray it on an overcast day? That might help too. Thanks again...I appreciate it Julia.

Delaware, OH

dawn , if you really have earwigs you will see holes chewed into the sides of the flower buds. they travel up the plant and eat into the buds. try and get rid of them before you are budding up by using "bug getta plus" on the ground which takes care of snails an earwigs. if you are not inclined to use a pesticide, totally get that, there are home remedies, but soap and water will not deter earwigs and snails, clems two worst enemies. small holes in leaves at the bottom may be earwigs, or some type of caterpiller type bug this time of year.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Earwigs & caterpillers seem to prefer my light colored Clematis such as Henryii.

Delaware, OH

shirley, or maybe you have those in partial shade? i think the shade is the earwig and slug variable for me. ggggrrrrr
hated to use that bug getta, but this year i am taking a stand. feel like a criminal.

(Zone 4a)

I wouldn't feel like a criminal...I would use it too if I had to! LOL. I already used some slug bait - I might try that spray that was mentioned though....or else it will just depend on what I find first at the store.....

Delaware, OH

bug getta is a snail bait that also kills earwigs. as far as i know i this is the only dual purpose one and as they are the two big clem pests, it is hard to resist it. my garden store is out, they are getting more in this week.i have only used one container on the whole 2 acres, but i plant to get more and have it on hand.

Appleton, WI

Sluggo Plus is for both slugs and earwigs.

Delaware, OH

that is good to know.

(Zone 4a)

I think I have seen Sluggo Plus around here for sure....

Appleton, WI

The war is on ladies........ we'll get those &%#@&$#'s

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.