Beach plants ID

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

I'm wondering if anyone can ID these 2 vine like plants that are growing on the sand at the beach. One of them is in our friends yard and has gotten more water and grown up and over a chain link fence. I saw the same vine though out on the dunes, just not as lush. It has a beautiful white ruffled flower. The first pic also shows an orange and black banded caterpillar that was eating a flower. Anyone know what it is as well?

The second vine grows over dunes and seems to be helpful against erosion from wind and rain. It has a small purple flower.

I put them in a Picasso album because it seems you can only show one pic per post here. Here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonna.harlan/PlantsToID?feat=directlink

This message was edited May 22, 2009 11:14 PM

I believe the second one is Ipomoea pes-caprae, also known as Railroad Vine.

Don't have either here in the Virgins, that I've seen. The white one is so pretty! And the caterpillar looks like it'd turn into a nice butterfly--

noonamah, Australia

I clicked on the thumbnail for a closer look and it's definitely not Ipomoea pes-caprae. Don't know what it is though, nor the first one.

Keaau, HI

Plant # 1 might be Trachelospermum jasminioides, Chinese Confederate-Jasmine.

I think there are two plants in "Vine 2"; Looks like Ipomoea pes-capre and maybe Boerhavia repens. Need close-up shots of the leaves and flowers.

Thanks for trying Metros, vine #2 is one vine, I followed one of the stems out for the 2nd picture. I've blown up pieces of the pictures from the original which was much larger. They are in the same album linked above. Let me know if that helps.

If it is a Confederate Jasmine, it must have been planted and naturalized right? I did smell it because it looked like a jasmine to me but I couldn't detect any fragrance. It was mid day, perhaps at night it would be different?

noonamah, Australia

No possibility of number 2 being Ipomoea pes-caprae, the leaf colour is wrong, leaf shape different, texture different, plant structure different. This is a photo of Ipomoea pes-caprae.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Keaau, HI

Tropicbreeze is right about the beach vine. Need to see the opened flowers close-up if possible.

Darn. It will have to wait then until I can go back out there. We are getting ready to go to the other coast, the Caribbean, where our beach condo is. Maybe I'll look for some over there, it would be interesting if they are on both coasts.

Keaau, HI

If you can find freshly opened flowers and mature seed-pods, it will help with ID!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.