We need a Primula Forum ! !

Pittsford, NY(Zone 5b)

I just put in a request for a Primrose Forum to Dave's Garden. Anyone else who is interested in a Primula Forum should email also! Thanks.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Hello,
I'm interested too. To which address I must send the mail?
Jonna

Pittsford, NY(Zone 5b)

You just email the request to the webmaster of Dave's Garden. Go to the bottom of this page and click on 'Contact Us'. Thanks!

(Zone 7a)

I'd love to see a Primrose forum, too. In addition to contacting the webmaster of DG below, it might be useful for anyone interested to also post here, to make as visible a show of support as possible.

By the way, the American Primrose Society's seed exchange is now in progress here - http://www.americanprimrosesociety.org/ . Anyone who joins to enrich their own garden with primrose species and cultivars of unimaginable beauty and variety will also be supporting the APS, so I hope y'all check out their website.

Karen

Muggy, humid ol' Maryland might not have as optimal conditions for many primroses as a Norwegian fjord or Alaska, but one of the seedlings of Primula japonica that was a rich, saturated deep red with dark eye rebloomed in October this year in our garden (well, we did have a very unusually rainy year).

Ya just never know until ya try - some of these plants are easier than one might think. Although having said that, if any primrose was going to do better than others here, P. japonica is one of them - so it does pay to do your research. And THAT is especially why we need a Primrose forum - exchange of knowledge and ideas, fanned by enthusiasm - to make the seemingly undoable doable.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks you bluespiral, you said it with perfect eloquence!

(Zone 7a)

Peony_Anne - You're welcome. Hopefully after New Year's I can help drum up more interest. This forum is a great place for it, as well as the Cottage Gardening forum...Annuals & Perennials...and this flower has a fascinating history in art, fairy tales, herbal medicine, literature so probably there are other forums to tie into...I think DG might have a forum about history of gardening...?

Evidently, to create a new forum, we're supposed to start a thread in the Dave's Garden forum, and I see you started one here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/992501/ . I don't think folks realize the variety possible among primroses.

Well, now's a good time to be aquiring seeds from APS & NARGS - not to mention wintersowing them. Many primroses can be germinated at either warm or cold temps.

But there is one species of primula, in particular, that seems to germinate best at warm temps. It is especially of interest to my part of the world, because having a tendency to be stoloniferous, there's a good chance it might be a little more tolerant of dry spells around here than other primroses. It's name is Primula kisoana, and I hope folks reading this will read my comment here - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53497/ .

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 5b)

Any Primrose collectors out there who want a Primrose Forum? Please register your wishes with Dave!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I was looking for a Primula forum as well, and was surprised there isn't one!
Christie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.