Iris Co-op

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi,
we had some wonderful iris co-ops the last few years and I am wondering if someone is planning one for this season ? seems like it was in June and shipping in July ?

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

I have been wanting to get one going, have things all set with a vendor. But notmartha did coop on Iris last year and I don't want to start one if she is going to make her's annual. I did dmail her days ago, just waiting to here back from her to see if she is going to do hers.

Paula

Columbus, OH

I cannot handle a coop but interested if someone else does.

confussedlady

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Paula,
I'll keep my eyes open :-)

Cherryvale, KS

makj has one going for tall-bearded with names.. pic Added Value.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I didn't find anything under the co-ops....where do I look other than that ?

Tranquillity, CA(Zone 9a)

Ok, I am still the newbie on the block.
How does a co-op work?

Does someone want to explain?

Terry

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone,

I think Makj is doing an Iris swap for Named Tall Bearded irises in the plant trading forum. I think it's open until the end of the month.

A co-op is when one (or more helpers) organizer contacts a vendor to get a better price for a product to share with DG subscribers. Check the co-op forums to see what's offered and keep in mind you pay for a portion of the shipping to the organizer and then the full cost of shipping to yourself. Sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it's not. Also... the co-ops are an "at-your-own-risk" venture so please read the sticky thread in the co-op forum first.

Roni

This message was edited May 24, 2009 11:40 AM

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

I may be interested, who is the vendor going to be?

Thanks,
Karen

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Apparently there already was an iris co-op with Snowpeake Iris. I know nothing about it but I see that it was closed at this post:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/884298/

I didn't know about it. I probably would have gotten involved, but I am afraid I don't check the co-op thread very often. I would hope there would be another at an equally good iris farm.

Lebanon, OR

patjar

that was LAST year.

not this year.

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, then we should do it again!
I went back and checked. It **was** in 2008! I am so alert!
I hope somebody will start a Snowpeak coop -- or another Iris farm equally good.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

D ...That would be great !! :-)

Gainesville, TX

Love to participate in an iris co-op with a reputable farm. COME ON SNOWPEAK!!! Or other iris growers here on Dave's.

I would be reluctant to ever again be involved with a co-op through a middleman (broker)

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have only been involved in a couple of coops and they turned out great. I have never heard of using a broker for a coop. Sounds like a bad idea.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

I still have not heard from notmartha, It has been a week that I dmailed her. I am thinking that maybe should could be on vacation?
Has anyone heard from her?
I have worked out a great Iris price with a grower at 1.50$ each with .25 cents per tuber to ship to me. They have givin me a wonderful list of almost 50 to choose from. Well they actally gave me a list of over 100 but I scaled it down.
I purchased from them last year and the tubers looked wonderful, made it through my cold -30 winter this year and are up and getting some buds.

** Again notmartha has done great Iris co-ops in the past and would love to join in hers again this year...!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What is the name of the grower?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

WOW ....That IS a terrific price !!! are they all TB 's? I am exited just to think of such a super deal :-) especially since everyone has to pinch pennies during this rough economy.

That is great that your iris made it thru your terrible winter,they must have been very healthy to begin with and you gave/giving them alot of care to start out with.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think we've probably got enough enthusiasts to have more than 1 iris co-op! There will be different varieties offered, etc., so I don't think one co-op will "lose business" to another.

Keep us posted!

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Well I took the above advise and started the co-op..

Come on over !!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/994034/

Paula

Gainesville, TX

Mt. Parjarito,

Maybe I chose the wrong word.

I meant to say that I have had bad experiences (yes plural) from someone who was a middleman (bought in bulk from someone else for later resale) not a grower and I have no idea where the rhizomes came from. They were second rate to say the least. They looked to be last years crop that had sat around til they dried up, yes some made it, some did not, the ones that did were not near as robust the folowing season's bloom as would have been fresh dug rhizomes. Not intended to start a stink but I definitly would want to know where any that I buy in the future come from I don't care how much a cut rate price was offered. I love a bargain but love a beautiful, healthy iris much more.

Thumbnail by sharondippity

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.