Salvia hians

London, United Kingdom

Is there any chance that this could be the extremely elusive Salvia hians???

Thumbnail by 2salvia

It matches my image of what hians is in my mind's eye. Good growing, Robin! Keep it from having sex with others!!

London, United Kingdom

Should I put condoms around each flower????

I originally got seeds from Christine Yeo, who was 99% certain that it was the real S. hians. My seeds germinated, and as is usually the case with Oriental species, it did not flower before the 2nd year. When Christine saw the flowers, she was convinced that it had hybridised....but I am not so sure.

I also obtained seeds from NZ from a S. hians which came from Alaska (?), this was supposed to be the real thing also. BUT, this beautiful plant seems to be a hybrid with flava var. megalantha (or bulleyana...call it what you will) as the foliage is so similar. But the flowers are an amazing combination of white and purple...but the white is on the upper lip! I think I sent a pic of this to the forum last year. I just wish that these oriental species/hybrids had a longer flowering season.

I now have another species, Salvia bowleyana....foliage similar to S. miltiorrhiza, but the flowers are different....very dull and uninteresting from a distance, but rather beautiful at close-up. Will try ro send a photo this week.

In essence, yes re: condoms...the morning glory folks do this to prevent cross pollination by tying off the flower before it opens. Pretty tedious work I must admit if you do every flower that way on a plant.

Looking forward to the photos of your other plants, Robin!

Joseph

Candor, NC

If it is not Salvia hians, it is a hybrid or closely related. The one I got from P. Kohli & Sons of Srinagar was very similar, but the flowers were a bit bicolored, with one patch bluer than the other.

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Yes please put condoms around the calyxs and than please share pics of this:))))

London, United Kingdom

But I would be banned from he forum!!!

Hitchin, United Kingdom

Salvia condomii

Attached is a pic of this plant in its early stage of developement

Thumbnail by jimcrick
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh! I'll be laughing all day of this!!!

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Robin you are just too modest:))))

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I just had to come back to this and show D's SO....I've been chuckling all afternoon............

Kannapolis, NC

Too funny! Nice salvias.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.