low growing perennials

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have suggestions for low growing perennials for the front of the border. I have arabis in some areas, thymus is just starting to sprout. My bugleweed did not survive this winter so I don't want to try it again. I had about 10 plants and none came back. This would have been their 4th spring here. I am looking for something that is low and flowers and spreads slowly.

Thumbnail by roserairie
Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Look these up in plant files. Under commom name type in Periwinkle. The third one down is Varigated Greater Periwinkle 'Varigate'. Also look up Baby Tears. I think you will like both of these.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks - appreciate the info.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I love these thrifts. I have them growing in the front of my garden and they are so full of flowers that you can't see the plant. They stay nice and low.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51574/

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Smokey, is Baby Tears a sedum? I found both of your suggestions (I think). Periwinkle is like a vinca?

Staceysmom - I love that plant as well. I'm trying to get the front parts of my borders with something colorful and interesting. I usually do moss roses and alyssum but I want to try some new perennial plants too.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

creeping phlox is nice and comes in a variety of colors. Is not invasive. Can be pruned to shape and size.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 7b)

Check out scabosia--pincushion plant. Also balloon flower. They're very pretty in the front of my border, and I've never lost one. Neither one spreads fast at all. They're both blue/purple, although you can find scabosia in pink, too. The balloon flower you need to pinch back when it comes up in spring if you want it to stay really low, otherwise it'll get to be 18 in. or so. Scabosia stays really low, but the airy flower stalks may reach 10 in.

Portland, OR

What about dianthus?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dianthus is a good idea.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Sea Thrift

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Periwinkle is an annual that reseeds, but my experience is that the seedlings take all summer to develop enough to bloom. Far better to buy the plants in flower and treat as an annual. They are delightful--will bloom all summer and well into fall and do not need to be dead-headed. Yes, they are a type of vinca.

NOTE: When you buy the plants from the nursery, you can usually divide each one to get at least two. They are very tough and will do well if you can get just a little root with each division. I can usually find them around here for about $1.50 each, so they are .75 each if I can divide them. --pen

Another nice one is Petite Monarda "petite delight" is really nice. I have that in the front of my bed also. Very frangrant also.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You might want to check out Bluestone Perennials. There is a section in their catalog and website devoted to groundcovers. http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/scan/tf=name/ml=12/ma=1/rf=%2A/co=yes/sp=results_pics/st=db/fi=products/sf=ty/se=tc/op=rm/sf=disc/se=0/op=%3E.html?ext_title=Ground%20Covers
They are a good company to do business with: and as an added bonus, all their plants are priced 50% off until May 31.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Thanks for that tip!!!!

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I have planted a couple of petite monardas this year - too early to see how they do, but they look good so far.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to have fun trying these plants out that's for sure. I have dianthus in some places and tried creeping phlox but it didn't survive the next year probably because of the snow and salt used on the sidewalk.
Petite monarda sounds really interesting. I was running out of ideas on what to put in the front of my beds so I appreciate the suggestions.
Rose

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

There are some low-growing spreading mums (I have 'Clara Curtis' - it is usually about 6" tall, but blooms up to 12", though Plant Files & Lazy S's Farm states a bit taller.) They bloom Spring and Fall, & are extremely easy care; in between bloomings, they are a pretty green with interesting foliage. Samantha

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Here's a picture of Pink Supreme. Came as a small plant, and has been out 4 - 6 weeks.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Samatha, thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to check it out.
Rose

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

lrwells50,
I will be very interested in how your dwarf monarda do for you because I planted some this spring too! Mine are supposed to be pink and are called 'petitie wonder'. It looks like a couple are getting ready to bloom! Can't wait to see what they look like and how long they flower. I know the first year is not a good predictor of how a perennial will turn out as far as height and spread, but I'm excited just the same! I've never had a monarda in my garden and they always look so pretty in the pictures I've seen. But they seemed to be a little too invasive for what I needed. So when I saw these dwarf monadra, I had to try thrm. Please keep me posted on how yours do and PLEASE post photos as I was looking at the ones you have too and several other of the dwarf variety.
Sherry

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I love this Sea Thrift growing in front of my TB iris. I also use sedums and Germander as low growing perennials in front of my beds.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful shot cactuspatch! Love the colors, they all look great together!
Sherry

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sherry. I like bright colors in sunny areas because the sun will wash out the pastels. This group is planted in a shady part of the yard that only gets some afternoon sun.

Bay Village, OH

If you like blue star shaped flowers these campanulas are tough customers...this is their 3 year and are just now starting to creep down the slope. This bed is my worst...horrible soil and yet this guy just keeps going.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
Bay Village, OH

..and these hardy geraniums are another "surprise" they Did survive the winter...

only in their second year but spreading slowly.

Hard to tell from the pic angle but they are very short.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have one bed edged with veronica Blue Carpet, which I started from seed. I've had great success with germination, and it stays quite low (about 4 inches) with the blooms being about 6-8 inches tall. I do wish it would bloom about a week earlier to coordinate with my roses, which was the plan, but I still like it.

Blue Carpet at T&M:
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/6854.html

It's only my second season with it, so I'm not sure about spreading, but so far it has grown nicely but not aggressively.

Hope this helps!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The low growing veronicas are a great suggestion. They usually have a longer blooming season too. Waterperry is an excellent one, and grows a little higher at about 6 inches, there are other good selections like Blue Heaven and Heavenly Blue (Not sure if they are the same or different) at only 1-2 inches. Other species like Veronica liwanensis and V. oltensis are nice, although they require better drainage.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

QuoiMerrie, I have that geranium too. "Biokovo" I planted three of them last year and they really spread this year, but yes, they are low growers. Full of blossoms. Very pretty Campanulas! I had 'white clips' but the rabbits really liked that one!

Sherry, I planted "Petite Wonder" last year and got a few blooms that lasted a long time. The plant has almost doubled this year. No sign of blossoms yet but can't wait to see them again. Very pretty pink blossoms.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I have 'Biovoko' plugs waiting to turn into something as we speak!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

staceysmom,
Thanks for the info. Here is one of mine planted this spring and it's already starting to bloom. Looks like it might be very pretty. Can't wait to see what it does this summer! Sorry the photo is kind of blurry.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl

carrielamont, the leaves of the 'biokovo' have a really pleasant spicy fragrance too. I love to touch them as I walk by just to release the smell. Yummy. Here is a pic of mine. I planted 3 smaller plants last year and they are looking really nice this year. I find they blossom a long time too.

GayLynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Sherry, yours are ahead of mine, so pretty too. I am just starting to see the beginning of some blossoms if I look close. Mine was a small plant last year and then I transplanted it too. It's looking nice and full this year.

GayLynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom

roserairie, another nice low growing perennial is Veronica.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://www.tmseeds.com/product/2403.html

How about this geum 'perennial that acts like an annual?'

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Everyone one of these suggestions are great. Now I have so many ideas! I have already started my search for plants and seeds for next year. I love the color of that veronia. That would go lovely with my blue columbine

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The geum is beautiful! I'm trying to grow the other two geums Lady Bradshaw and I can't think of the other name. I wintersowed them and transplanted them probably way too early but I have a few of the seedlings that have survived. I don't think they'll grow much this year but hopefully I will have blooms next year.

I can't wait to start working on some of these suggestions. I'm already mapping out what's got to be moved so I can try the new plants. I keep drawing maps, running to the computer and searching for pics and info. Truly obsess. So glad I asked for suggestions. Thanks again everyone.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Actually roserarie, I bought that geum seed - do you want some for postage? I guess for a SASE?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I would really appreciate that so much!
thanks.
Rose

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

GayLynn,
Wow, yours do look nice and bushy. I just planted mine this spring so this will be their first year. If you don't mind, can you keep posting picture updates through summer so I can get an idea of what to expect from them? I am putting them in place of where I used to put petunias but am not sure if they will be bushy and showy enough for the spot. This year I am going to add some annuals here and there to help take up the slack until they get bigger and bushier. It will be nice to compare.
Sherry ;o)

Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

I just want to give a heads up on the Monarda 'Petite Wonder'. I planted 6 of them as a border along a walk. The first year they were fine, expanded some and bloomed moderately. Their second year they were beautiful, neally tripled in size and were covered in buds. Then the dreaded mildew set in. We had been away for 4 days, and came home to find them nearly consumed in mildew. Perhaps if I had had the forsight to pretreat them it could have been controlled. I pulled them out later that fall. They may be labled as mildew resistant, but watch out for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.