ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 154 - Blooms -a- Million!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986480/

Day Lily Enola Gay

This message was edited May 22, 2009 1:40 PM

Thumbnail by DustyDS
N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Ric, when you are down this way. come by and visit.
Bonnie, thank you for all the information. I'll write myself a note to remind GS.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am in for something cold to drink. I am having a good day, and getting lots done.

Will check in later tonight.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Bonnie!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Me, too Bonnie! In my jubilation over water, I failed to say "atta girl" to you and the bionic woman... glad you both have a handle on things!

Hey folks
well another grumpy day
busted my tush to get things done, for a little pal of my sons to come over tomorrow and he ends up going to a birthday party ? ! grrrrr.
so irate right now
next door neighbor kids were walking in our feilds after being told not to ! cuz its being planted with alfalfa and oats. Just simple respect ! and this rotten brats can't do it . Ok that was mean . but i m mad. :(
got alot done and planted in ground
sweet potatos georgia jet
asian greens dwarf Bak choy, tatsoi, and chinese kale
tomatos Riesnebaumbe , amish paste and Black brandywine
peppers some that had no ID's lol lost tags lol
made more raised beds and filled iwth topsoil and tilled them in with manure. Made manure tea.
watered everything
made dinner
forgot to take pics of garden :(
kids have been rotten all day , sent them off to bed with out supper.
Bonnie wow strawberrys you lucky ducky so jealous
well im off to bed myself
just pooped and mad :(
good night
sue

Boy, I had one of the best days I have had in a long time. Sure hope I don't pay the piper tomorrow for doing so much today.

I did a load of laundry, ran the dishwasher, weeded a huge flower bed, but had to take the hoe to some grass that had come in there. Got it all tilled up and ready to plant, probably tomorrow. Watered everything, crawled back in under the deck and sprayed again with round up, and raked up all the dead plant stuff under there, started working on taking paint off an old copper wash kettle, baked some cookies, froze some more strawberries, made a strawberry pie, got an old push plow ready to paint. and cooked supper. Oh, had to run to the local hardware store for some supplies for the roofers, and bought several annuals, probably will not get them in till the first of the week.

So I am very tired. Oh, the roof is done, and the yard all cleaned up, so that is a plus. I will need to spend a day there in the next bit to finish some things.

Sue I am so sorry that you had such a bad day. Yep kids can be so rotten. If I had further problems I would contact the parents and have them talk to the kids about walking through the tilled ground.

DH helped his DB finish setting the tobacco, and then went fishing this afternoon. He had a pretty good day.

It won't take me long to get to bed tonight. I took 2 pain pills today, but kept the pain under control, so all in all a good day.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all...just got home here!
Bonnie...so glad you had a good day! You deserve one! And Sue...so do you! Hope you feel better tomorrow!
I never did get anything done outside today except to water. And I have so much stuff to plant. I swore I wasn't going to do that this year...and here I am. We have two grad parties tomorrow...and then going to friends' house on Sunday. So it will be Monday before I can get anything done!! And of course...they are saying chance of rain then.
At least it's warm out!
Had so much to do inside today...and by the time I got done...my son called. Well actually, both sons called today. And my friend, Martha....so spent a lot of time on the phone...which I don't normally do. Good thing youngest son called , because tonight was Dawson's pre school graduation...and I was thinking it was next week!!! Sooooo we had to go to that...and then the grocery. And when Dave goes with me to the grocery...welll...I'm sure all you women understand....LOL!!!
So now I am off to bed...because the next two days are early ones!
I hope you all have a fabulous holiday weekend! Enjoy!!
Oh...and LOL on the bionic woman Darius. Did you by any chance...mean ME?????
Eyes are doing good!!! Nite all.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue,
Is there any way I could talk you out of a Black Brandywine tomato plant? Sounds SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO good!

Darius, I will hoe the weeds. I'm less & less a fan of spraying. There's a newish law in Ohio now that requires, if you're selling your house, that it must be treated for termites, unless you can prove it's been treated in the last 5 years. It was a sop to the exterminators, when another law was passed letting house inspectors get certified for termite inspections. In 10 years, the whole state will be floating away on a pool of chemicals from treating non-existent termites!

OK, enough outrage for tonight.
Can't wait to meet folks in person at the round up.
I'll try and get a picture of the screen curtains.

Pat

Good Wee Early Morning All.....Yup ..I'm up...

I had an odd day yesterday....I had to take a break from the yard and get my terrarium set up at long last, for an emergency...I moved a huge Pincushion flower down to the VG, and while I was putting the dirt around it, I noticed a movement off to my right...It was a very tiny toad, about the size of the end of my thumb, and something has bitten off his hind legs from where the knee would be...He hobbles on his little stumps...He is only about an inch long from his nose to his rump...I brought him in and put him in a bowl, and got busy on the terrarium...He can live in there...for as long as he lives...I'm betting a small snake had him, and he managed to get away at the cost of his tiny little legs...
No clue how long he will live, but at least he is safe...I made him a little toad house out of a small deep seashell propped on a piece of coral, and he was under it in no time flat...LOL

Didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but it was 83* out there, and I was dripping wet...My T-shirt was soaked, and my glasses were dripping...My blood has definitely thickened up after working outside in the bitter cold the last 2 winters...I did manage to get 11 paks of flower seeds planted in the lower VG along with a few transplants...Only about 12 paks more to go...but they go in three different places...

I got everything watered in, and got the fountain garden watered down to help ease getting the last of the weeds out, so I could put the mulch down...Bill got the tiller going again in the afternoon and brought it over, so hopefully I can get my tilling done today before it decides to quit again...Bill said it's something to do with a filter screen in the tank, and he has ordered a new one...
I got one of the pathways sprayed down with herbicide,and if it doesn't rain and there is no wind later this morning, I will get the rest of it done...
I'm still fighting that darn birdseed...My Fault...When everything is below ground hibernating, and you have no clue where anything is...I just tried to set the feeders where I could get to them, and see them easily...and now I'm cleaning up the mess I made...

I was watering down the fountain garden when I heard the phone ringing...It was our friends from Scotland calling...We usually chat almost every night on Pogo while playing Canasta, but they still call about once a month...on speaker phone with the two of them, yakking for nearly 2 hours...They have changed their plans and have decided to fly into Chicago, drive into IN to meet with another friend, and then come here for about 5 days about Aug. 20th...then go to the wedding in MI on the 28th, and then on up to Winnipeg, Canada for her uncles 80th birthday...
I can't wait to see them again...They are such wonderful people...

Back to the garden today....Things are finally coming together....

Have a wonderful day today...and a great Holiday weekend....

Good monring, been up for awhile, Mr. B found something really interesting to bark at outside. Who needs an alarm clock with him around?

Don't have a clue what I will be doing today. I am not paying for what I did yesterday, so don't know whether I will push my luck again today or not.

I will check in when all of you are up and about.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE. Hope it is a special one!

Happy Birthday, George!!! Lucky you, you get a 3-day weekend for your birthday! Have FUN!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday, George! Twenty-nine and holding, right? LOL!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear George
Happy Birthday to You!......... And many More

Brought to you by Tweeter.....

Thumbnail by henryr10

Happy birthday Geo !!!
Bonnie im so glad to hear you had a great day with no pain and lots of energy ! wow . Feels good . Does your Dh grow okra ? i have a question on it , how far do you space them out ? i did mine 6-8 ? ish inches apart.
I m doing better i guess i was tired :( my bad.
So the boy is coming over today , the dad was confused ? ok . So that is good.
The kids nexxt door will get a talking too, i think its just rude to walk on a farmers feild when its in crop mode.
So we are all doing better
i m hoping to get pics of garden , darius and Ric i think you'll be amazed at my hammering skills have improved ? LOL
goshmom yes they do sound goooooooood. First time growing them but if they are just as luscius as the red brandywine . Will have to bring some to the fall RU. If i get a good crop. I got 20 plants planted so 1 should live ? lol
well i m off to eat and get to the store
off and running

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Just popping in to say Happy Birthday George!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Me too..popping in. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE!!! And may you have many many more!!
On our way to grad parties...and stopping in at Meadowview for their 12.99 a flat zinnia sale!!! Shame on me...like I need more to plant!!
Have a great day everyone!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~ waving to ALL!!!

Good Morning All...70* and sunshine !!!!

Happy Birthday Dear Geo....I hope it is everything you want it to be...

It is absolutely still outside, so I just sprayed down that pathway...Glad to get that evil chore done...
I have a beautiful deep purple Siberian Iris next to the pond that bloomed since last night...I see at least 2 parts to it so it will be moving to the VG also...

Bons....I think I may finally have some Poppies where I sowed them in Feb. in the snow out on the berm...I put some other seeds that were old out there as well, and it looks like alot of them were still viable...I'm not pulling anything until I see what they are, so it looks a bit like a weed patch at the moment...;-P

Sues...Okra should be thinned to about 12-16 inches when they get up to about 2-3 inches tall...The Clemson get to be very large plants, and you need to be able to get to them for harvest...

Breaktime is over... back at it...I just hope I can keep the tiller running long enough to get that back pond bank tilled...

Have a terrific day everyone... especially you Geo!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear George,, Happy birthday to you!!! From sunny Texas!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm popping in too, to say Happy Birthday to George. Have a great day, George!

Sue, yes the okra is a bit close. Did you plant plants or seeds? If seeds, then you can thin them. If plants they will still grow but will be a bit crowded, which could affect the output.

I am whupped. went to the grocery then stopped at some yard sales, got home, had a message from DGD and she wanted me to come pick her up. So did that and en route, had a call from her mother, DGD's aunt is dying, so took her by there so she could see her, then she wanted to go to Kohls, and didn't get home till after 3:00. Then we got the pool opened and have worked on it for about 2 hours, and it is topping off now, so that we can start the pump. Then are meeting friends for dinner at 5:30, and I am the only one who has had a shower. So need to get cracking, and will check in when we are home again.

good to know on the okra . I did plants . I can thin out a few plants . they are in rows of 8 so i can take out every other one. If that would help. I have an heirloom variety called Hillcountry ? has a real "okree flavor " it says :) redish green color.
not much here
kids had a fun day with friends.
Bonnie my word you did alot today ! have a good dinner out with friends.
Keep on tilling Dusty LOLLLLL
good night
sue

Good evening all....I am inside hibernating from the 87* heat out there...
I will go back out later when it cools down a bit...At least I got my transplants and seeds watered earlier this morning...They will get another dose later unless we get the predicted rains...

Jim is building a cover for the pond filter box...He is making it look like a little dock...it will be hinged for easy access to clean the filter...The rock that was on it was broken, and didn't cover it completely to keep out leaves and other debris, not to mention that it was heavy as all get out for me to lift off, but it is a perfect fit for the bottom of the waterfall going into the pond...With the revamping I did on the falls, I have cut down the sides of it, since there will be no more splash...I gave Jim the plan for a little humped bridge to go over the falls into the backside gardens... More for decor than use, but it also helps shade and cool the water as it runs under it...That man is a woodworking fool, and LOVES doing it... Give him his saw and some wood and I never know what will be next... He decided this little project all on his own...and I think it is going to look really cute without being tacky...
I saw a little boy fishing made of cement that I just loved down at the flea market last year....I have 20 pounds of clay, just waiting for me to get my hands in it, and I think I will attempt to make a smaller version of him to put on the new *dock*...I think my hands will allow something a bit larger than my normal sculptures...They have really been cramping alot lately with the weedpulling etc., so I added some more potassium to my day, and it thankfully seems to be easing up a bit...

Since I was relegated to the indoors this afternoon, I made tortelloni and meatballs in Marinara for supper, and spinach salads with diced apples, red onion and Crasins and a bit of grated Romano cheese...Gorgonzola on mine...

Welllll...I just went out and watered everything, and got the mulch down in the fountain bed...WOW what a difference that made!! It looks great now...
It has only dropped down to 83* so far, but at least the sun wasn't beating on me, so it wasn't bad...I will get a bit more done here in a bit before it gets dark...Every little bit just makes the picture come together all the more...One day at a time...

I hope you all have a wonderful evening and are enjoying the long weekend!!!...
Please remember sometime this weekend, that Memorial Day or Decoration Day, as my Gram called it, (which used to be May 30th) was to honor those Vets whose lives were lost to keep us Free...

There are 9,387 graves on Normandy Beach in France from just ONE seige in WWII....That seige took place on June 6th, 1944...

The Normandy American Cemetery has 9,387 burials of US service men and women, all facing West toward *Home*. Of this number, some 307 are unknowns, three are Medal of Honour recipients and four are women who were Nurses. In addition there are 33 pairs of brothers buried side by side. It is the largest American Cemetery from WW2, but not the largest in Europe: that is the Meuse-Argonne Cemetery from WW1 with more than 14,000 burials.

I don't inflict MY War on anyone, since there was so much hatred and dissent over it...but I lost 58,268 Brothers and Sisters in that War, and I would be grateful if they were remembered as well...There are those here on Daves, who lost Family in Nam...no matter your feelings on the War...Human beings and family members died that were precious to those who were here praying for them to come home safely, and they didn't...Knowing them personally, has eased my pain, but nothing will ever ease theirs of losing a son or brother...

Be at Peace....I care deeply for you all....

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Hi folks... I had an almost perfect day! It was warm, not hot, and not too sunny thanks to a light cloud cover. (I think I got sunburned anyway.) Most of the day I sat on an overturned bucket in the garden and pulled several bushels of 4-5" tall new grass from my vegetable beds. Grass from seeds that came to the surface when the garden was tilled, I guess.

It was a peaceful, quiet day, almost no traffic on my road, and I could hear the gentle sounds of the creek all day. Even the ducks came up the creek for a short visit. Shuggah, my young siamese, spent about half my garden time curled up in the grass next to me watching my progress no doubt, but with an occasional foray to chase a flying bug or an imaginary foe.

Several more days like this and I will have all the garden weeded and properly mulched. If I do it right and get all the grass out before it seeds, I should have few problems with weeds next year.

I did find about 20 dandelions I must have missed when I dug hundreds of them earlier this spring. There will be more next year anyway because the rest of the yard has so many that spread fluff, as did my neighbor's field upwind.

Exciting day, huh?? LOL.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

It sounds like you had a lovely day Darius!
I would have loved to been home today, working in my flowers. Oh well...we got home around 6 or so...and I have been working out there since then...so not a total loss.
Went to two grad parties for great nieces. They were both nice. One niece is going to be a nurse...another a chef! So glad to see they are interested in something!!
Not much else happening here....except my yellow peony bloomed!!! It isn't very tall, and the blooms were hanging down under the foliage...where you couldn't really see them, so I cut them and brought them into the house. There were 3 blooms...and there is one more big bud on it!
Ohhh...and it smells wonderful...kinda lemony!!
Here is a picture of the blooms.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ric, that photo of the baby robins is excellent! I love the composition and the shallow depth of field is so cool.

You all seem to be having a good weekend - yay! Happy birthday George. Do anything special?

I picked up a healthy 5" pot of corkscrew rush and have it in a glazed pot on the front porch now. I found some healthy Big Bertha green pepper seedlings and a cellpack of nice patio tomato plants, too. I can't wait to see how everything does in the self-contained grow boxes! One person on Instructibles.com said she grows four tomato plants in each box she's made out of 18-gallon Rubbermaid totes. Amazing, healthy plants in her pictures bore witness to it. Wow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Greetings to all, and yippee-cayou-cayay Birthday greetings to George! And many, many more!

Picked up a few iris, a blackberry lily and a couple callas at neighbor's plant sale. Then I was kidnapped by younger sis & friend Neil & went to IKEA. Note that I'd never been there before & wanted to buy at least one of everything I saw. Neil managed to get bed, mattress, coffee table, lamps, kitchen table & 4 chairs. Fortunately, he's having the furniture delivered. Sis got 4 outdoor chairs, I got a few doodads. We ate at the Red Robin, dropped everybody & their goodies at their houses & now I'm ready to collapse-- and I used my scooter through the whole store. If I'd had to walk I would never have gotten from the parking lot to the front door. Since I was with the 2 teachers, they got stopped a dozen times for greetings from parents & former students. I got stopped by several small fry who said "Cool scooter." Sigh.

My yellow David Austin rose has started to bloom, and one of the tea roses has opened. Not really enough for a trip to the cemetery, so not sure if I'll go or not. They're tearing the hospital down in Middletown, where I spent so many happy and heartwrenching moments, & I honestly don't know if I want to see the end of it or not.

Off to bed early (if I were to put it in diagnostic terms, it would be Exhaustion due to overexposure to Ikea.)
Pat

Had a nice meal out, then delivered strawberries to an older couple, really dear friends, and to DH's aunt who has Lou Gehrigs, and is declining fast.

When I got home, I made the BBQ sauce for the pulled pork cooked earlier, and will be making potato salad in just a bit. Did the church bulletins, and have just had a moment to check in.

Marcy, those yellow peonies are just beautiful. I definitely will have to get one of those soon.

goshsmom, I haven't been to IKEA, and shudder to think what my bank account would look like if I did. Glad that you got a few plants at the sale too.

Sue, don't toss the plants if you have any place else to put them. They should do okay just transplanted. Glad it was a better day for you today.

Dusty, I volunteer at the local cemetery on Memorial day, or the celebration which will be tomorrow. Will spend the better part of the day there. We decorated the graves of the vets with flags on Friday, and the cemetery sure looks nice. Hope the rain holds off until after tomorrow.

I need to get that potato salad made, then I am off to bed.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Kimberly!
It took forever to get a shot w/ all three mouths opened and pointed the same way.
Never did get them being fed.

About 35 years ago I cracked my Tail-bone while skiing.
Every few years it acts up.
Started yesterday.... about gone now.
Slowed me way down the last 24 hours.
But from about 2PM till 4 I was out for the count.
Cleaning a pond..... dumb move!!!!!
MUCH better now....

I did get some pics this morning and this evening.

Here's that root stock rose...... George or Neal ID'd it last year...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Paul's Musk is in full bloom.
Unfortunately it's so hot the bloom time will be short.
The yard is like a perfume shop.
This AND Wisteria both are cranking.

This is the West side... yes the blooms go from side to side and ground to top in the photo.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! I have had a great day. Family, food and friends, who could ask for more?? One set of friends brought one of those mixed variety cheese cakes over(which I'm not supposed to have. I had one piece) Jeff got me 2 revolvers, both .22. One is small and double action and the other is single action. The small one is from 1934 and I have had my eye on it for awhile. The other is for varmits that try to steal my plants!! LOL

The best was that I had 3 packages at the post office. 3 coop's came in! It was like getting 3 presents extra.

After many test and sessions with the weight loss surgery. I have decided not to have it. It scares the crap out of me! I quit about 3 weeks or so ago and have been using there diet guide lines and have lost 15lb on my own. I am now on a "modified food intake" I am still taking the supplements and the protein shakes. I don't care if it takes me a year to lose the weight I want to lose. So be it. I heard the word "you could die" way too many times for them to cut on me! They were not pleased with my withdrawal from the program(and even less that I demanded my deposit back)

Everyone please be patient with me on RU plants. I can fill most orders, but a few wild flowers went dormant on me. I will still try my best to get everything to everyone I promised things to. They kept me hopping with Dr. appointments and I fell behind. The only thing I'm really worried about is the caldiums. I just potted them. I hope the hot green house makes them sprout quickly. I plan to bring some extra things also in case. I really hope someone wants those peach colored clivias pups. Mine is huge and these need new homes.

Well turning 42 has wore me out.
Good night my fellow ORVer's(and special friends from afar)
Your friend
George
Good to see you Melissa. Don't be a stranger!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

George...I would take a clivia pup!!! LMK..ok?
I am back up...can't sleep. Got that dang RLS. Has to be the humidity! Wouldn't you know...and I have to be up at 7 am. I just hate it when i can't sleep!

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, It's on the list for you. One more left.
Geo

George, I WANT A CLIVIA!!! (or two?) Pretty please?

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooops sorry I missed it Happy Belated Birthday George!!

Geo your 42 !!!!! so am i ! i really thought you were under 40 ! my godness honey .
Well anyone help me iwth pickled asparagus ?
do you cut in half and pickle both ends ? they just won't smash in the jars and i am cutting of so much ! just to make them fit ?
great looking pics Ric i can smell it all from here.
well i have to either pickle or freeze the asparagus. Still working on which one i have energy for LOL
have a great day
Geo i think you did the right choice ! try and find a used treadmill for winter time .
bbl
sue

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Belated Birthday George! Glad you had a great day!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Howie and I turn 42 this year, too, George - you're in good company. I sure don't blame you on backing out of the WLS. It's sure nothing to go through with if you're not 100% on board and ready for the risks. You can do it the good old-fashioned and safe way. We're rooting for you! We're in the same boat! :)

The rain is coming through, but seems to be letting up. We've spent the last three nights in the gazebo. If the rain holds off tonight, we may try it again. It's just so iffy with showers popping up like they do. Kinda wish we had a rainproof canopy. :)

Kimberley...You can have a dry canopy on your next dry day...A couple cans of Scotchguard spray will do the trick...There are all kinds of waterproofing products you can use on the canopy itself if that is what is leaking...If it is the side curtains, go to the $$ store, and buy a few clear shower curtain liners for less than $3...That is what I'm going to use on the inside of this porch to keep the weather out, and I had them up in FL on my screened in room...I used eyebolts and a taughtener on thin cable to hang them...
It had a floor drain and the floor was very slightly sloped toward it...The curtains caught the water from the daily downpours, they drained out, and when the rains stopped, we slid the curtains back to the posts and had the open screen areas...We lived on that porch year round because with the curtains closed in the winter, it kept the wind off of me...and this laptop was on the table out there for me to use for my dispatching work 24 hrs a day...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.