Carbon Value of Wet Leaves

Rochester, IL

Do wet leaves have the same carbon value in a compost mix as dry ones? Each Fall I pile up maple and oak leaves that my lawn mower (a Walker) has shredded, and cover them with tarps until Spring, when I bag those I haven't already used for mulch in my garden. Some of these leaves are quite wet, either from a leaky tarp or water runoff from downspouts. I'm wondering whether this wetness detracts from their value in a compost mix, and whether I need to recalculate carbon / nitrogen ratios as result. In addition to the leaf mulch, I use coffee grounds which I collect from a local cafe (filters included), plus fresh grass clipping and garden refuse. I use a motorized composter, and get internal temp readings at 160 degrees and below, which follow the usual graph for a composing mix.

This message was edited May 21, 2009 11:59 PM

Thumbnail by lukerw
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

There is no difference wet or dry.

The difference is the decomposition state of the material. Meaning, if the have sat for quite awhile and are already broken down they do not have as much as material that has not sat for a long time. It's probably not enough of a difference to really worry about for the average composter.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

So lukerw,
Those are some good looking buckets. Are they going to be turned into eBuckets for the Fall plant out?

Rochester, IL

Gymgirl, my ignorance, but I don't know about eBuckets. Those pictured are old pickle buckets filled with Starbuck coffee grounds from a Barnes and Noble cafe. At one time I had about 100 of them, but over the years my supply has dwindled down to half. I pick up five buckets of grounds with filters a week, but don't collect them in the summer, as I get too busy in my garden. There is a very big pile of grounds next to my composter that I use up during this time. I specialize in raising garlic and show it at the State Fair. I have 1000 plants in the ground this year.

Thumbnail by lukerw
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the what looks like a giant tumbler.Is that what it is?
Mike

Rochester, IL

Mike, that's a custom-made motorized composter. It's driven by a 1HP motor belted to a gear reduction box chained to a big sprocket bolted to the back of a car wheel hub welded to a pipe stand, which in turn is welded to the frame. The basket is welded to a wheel rim bolted to the hub. Speed reduction is built in at each level, so the basket turns quite slowly. A neighbor picked it up at an estate auction. I upgraded the original motor and improvised an idler assembly, since the chain gains a lot of tension on the low side as the basket turns. This contraption elevates composting to a new level of ease and joy. I'm gathering materials to build a couple more.

Thumbnail by lukerw
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, thats the kind of things I like to do.Looks like a 60 to 1 geer reduction before you get to the chain.If the sprocket is as large as 12", you could have an 80 to 1 reduction.Thank you for showing me the set up.I have 2 comercial dryer drumbs, 5'x4', and I'm going to do something with them.
I use to do fabrication, and welding, but now have a pacemaker, and a bad "ticker", so I'm not sure I'm cleared for welding.I can always go th the old slow gas welding.Thanks again. Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.