Memorial Day weekend

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Old thread way to long. It takes a long time to come up for me & I'm on high speed.
We came from here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986840/

Bernie

This message was edited May 21, 2009 9:49 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bernie!

We had a beautiful clear day in the mid 80's.
Looking for the same thru Saturday afternoon.
Then T-Storms Saturday afternoon thru Tues... but still in the 80's.
Our Ave High should be mid 70's. Our Lows though are staying about right at mid 50's.

Punch list is getting very small at the Dayton remodel.
We went up today to avoid the drama.
Got a lot of the nagging little things done.

Here's our Rose from yesterday.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Another very nice day here. Upper 70s and a slight breeze.

Pretty rose, Ric.

Thanks, Bernie.

I found this headless cat today. It made some funny noises.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marylyn – HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Bernie – I wish I could have lilac here. Our lawns are in the same mess. Lots of cleanup to do.
Adina Your path is going to look great when finished!
Celia - That has happened to me before. It takes one second to start a fire. Love the Gaillardia! It’s not the time of year for this type of weather here. Kinda late in the season for us. I’m not going to complain though – our aquafirs are getting filled up.
Ric – Gorgeous rose!
Celia – I’m cracking up! Monty is so cute LOL!

70.7 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2200 ft
Scattered Clouds 3000 ft
Overcast 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

High surf advisory in effect until 4 PM EDT this afternoon...
Flood Watch in effect through this Evening...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 8 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Mostly cloudy and windy. Showers likely in the morning...then showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High76. East winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

At lest the rain chances are getting lower! Tree down

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our weather is finally straightened out. 55 to 65 overnight & 70's daytime. Beautiful for holiday weekend.
I see the money hoarder gasoline companies have figured out it is a holiday weekend. Gas has been on the rise for last few weeks. It hit $2.459 yesterday. Don't the stupid *******
know they are the cause of the falling economy ?
With high gasoline prices, we will be in the same boat this fall that we were last year.
Make people spend their earnings on gas, with nothing left to buy other goods. It's a no-brainer, how come the fools are so stupid ?

Off the soap box.

Everyone have a great weekend!
Bernie

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Gas rose up quickly price as day is $2.04 then next day is $2.14 so I did get some gas for my van so in 2 hours later rose up to $2.27 then 3 hours later price down to $2.24! What the world keep price goes up then drop down again.... Make up the mind what they doing for!

Pink Iris bloom today...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Sharon and Celia! :-)

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie.

LOL at the headless cat, Celia.

That's a beautiful iris, Rusty!

There's a 30% chance of rain today and a 50% chance tomorrow. I was going to water the garden tomorrow morning, but maybe I'll wait... Right now I need to finish cleaning the house so the babysitter won't run away when she gets here tonight. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (54 min ago)
Temperature 74 °F 23 °C
Dew Point 64 °F 18 °C
Humidity 73%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.7 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NE 50°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 °F 25 °C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 69.1°F / 20.6°C

Today Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent in the morning increasing to 30 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. North winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

(Zone 7a)

71.6 °F with 83º fopr our high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 41 °F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 14000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

We're in for a wild weekend.

"SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED ACROSS SOUTHERN AND EASTERN UTAH DURING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND...

MOISTURE... MORE TYPICAL OF THE MONSOON SEASON OF JULY AND AUGUST... WILL SPREAD NORTH ACROSS SOUTHERN AND EASTERN UTAH DURING THE UPCOMING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. THIS WILL LEAD TO AFTERNOON AND EVENING THUNDERSTORMS THROUGHOUT THE WEEKEND. HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THESE STORMS... WHICH COULD POSSIBLY LEAD TO LOCALIZED FLASH FLOODING WITHIN FLASH FLOOD PRONE AREAS OF SOUTHERN AND EASTERN UTAH."

Sharon, Monty gives endless pleasure just watching the stuff he does.

Rusty, very pretty. Crazy prices makes you wonder what's going on.

Ric, things have to get better, don't they? I can't imagine our economy collapsing completely. We've been through this stuff before and will again. Good luck.

FINALLY got these in the ground this morning. Guess I should have looked at the weather before I did. Oh, well, at least they'll be somewhat protected.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

51*F - overcast, but nice. Highs to 60's.
Thanks for the new thread, Bernie. Sounds like all kinds of damage to be taken care of. Sorry to hear that.
Adina~the rock pathway will be so nice; lots of hard work but, rewarding, too.
Celia~so cute~
Rusty, such a gorgeous blossom~very nice.
ric~it's a good feeling to have some of the small projects done and out of the way, isn't it? Love the rose, too.
Marsue ~ I know what you mean; good weather here, and terrible weather in other places.
There continues to be major ice/flooding in parts of Alaska along the rivers as the ice continues to go out.
MySharona~hope it's beginning to quiet down ~ what a welcome to the new location.
New growth on the Spruce trees.
Happy Anniversary, Marylyn.

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, guys! Thanks for appreciating my path, I'm still working on it. That is another lawn I sowed , so it'll be between the rocks too...I hope it gets well! I just found a visitor in my yard, a cute little kitty...the dogs are outside at the fence, watching her. She was hungry, ate a lot and now she's lying outside on the window. DH seems to want to keep her...keep your fingers crossed so he doesn't change his mind!LOL
Kelli, thanks for the names of the plants.
It's getting hot here, tomorrow it'll be 93.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Cute kitty! I so hope you get to keep her. If you name her quick, he'll a have a harder time changing his mind. LOL

(Zone 5a)

Partly sunny yesterday and mostly sunny today, 50's temps. Bit blustery today. It's clouding up and supposed to start raining tomorrow. The garden needs it, could do without the wind though.

Bernie - so sorry about the damage to the greenhouses and the lilac bush. What a pity. Glad it's calmed down finally!

Adina - does the kitty have a name yet ;-) lol Very cute. Hope you get to keep her :-)

Marylyn - Happy Anniversary!!

Sharon - hope it stops raining soon! What a mess!

Celia - LOL at Monty! Nice plants!

Bernie and Rusty - don't get me started on gas prices ..... people would be lining up to buy gas at $2.50! We'd call that a bargain! lol
$ 4.86 is the price here, and that's with our messed up currency ....... taking into account the fall of the currency since our wages are still the same (or less), it would equal about $7.71. That will really put a big dent in your wallet.

We have a stray too ...... one of our neighbours found a hamster running around in their house yesterday. They walked from house to house trying to find where it belonged without any luck ...... they couldn't keep him so being the big softie that I am I took him in ...... The girls are hoping that we don't find his owners so they can keep him. lol Like we need more pets ....... sigh .... He is very cute though and he's been named Snúlli (pron. Snoolly = cutie).

Have a good night!

Rann

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

HOT!!!! We hit 90 today and didn't have a breeze til later in the afternoon. I had to go inside the store often to cool down.

Of course that was after we unloaded a nice shipment of butterfly perennials which I had to get some of. LOL. Lupine, lamin (sp?)-shade loving ground cover, columbine-purple and ivory that is similar to the pink and ivory, astible, silver frost sedum. I might get more lupine and other tall plants tomorrow since alot of my natives didn't come back this year. I need to get them while they are super nice looking. And I need lamin to cover my tulip bed instead of weeds. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I think lamium is the word your looking for.... lovely little plants.

Adina what a pretty little girl there!
How are the dogs taking to her?

Rusty what a nice color of Iris!
I'm getting back into growing them again.
Our problem is lack of space.

Celia that will grow in nicely!
Pretty design.

Sharon I hope it's letting up down there.
That's a LOT of rain!
Jon's brother was up from Naples this week.
He said they are in burn conditions down there.

Mid 80's here today but we did see some clouding.
Our rain cycle should start Sunday.
Mostly went shopping today.
We're moving more to Resin pots now for the plants we have to winter indoors.
So we picked up some whoopers.

Here's a Dayton shot.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

40*F sunny and no wind yet.
Adina~cute kitten; named yet?:)
ric~what a cute shot you've posted. Sounds like a busy time for you, too.
Pepper~enjoy the new flowers.
rann~your new temp pet sounds cute; still at your home? Love seeing that you've had good weather.
Off to a glass class today as to how to fuse copper between the glass.
The tree in the background in the woods, has had the bark peeled off by hungry moose. It doesn't seem to harm the trees.

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Rusty – Beautiful iris!
Celia – Hang on to your hat! Your plants look good!
Kiska – I bet the spruce smells good!
Adina – 93*? Wow! Your new kitty is adorable! I agree with Celia – give her a name soon!
Rann – I would have taken in Cutie too. I’m a softie…you should post a picture!
Pepper – Your garden is going to look so good. I wouldn’t have been able to resist taking some home either LOL!
Ric- Cute birds!

72.9 °F
Rain Mist
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 69 °F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the ESE
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 °F
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1200 ft
Overcast 2500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Through 1215 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms will continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving northwest to north at 10 to 20 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Crescent Beach...palmcoast...St Augustine...Crescent City...Palatka... Middleburg...Orange Park...Bryceville and St George. Expect...brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity

This Afternoon
Showers likely and chance of thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High 77. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Yep - more rain. Atleast the wind has calmed down. I'm not looking forward to steam, mosquitos and flies when all this is over. Although the weeds are really happy (grrr).

This Phal hasn't bloomed in years. I have forgotten the actual name and what it looked like LOL! It's the only bloom so far.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

It was supposed to rain today, but no rain yet and it's almost 6:30 pm. Got some rain overnight though. Partly cloudy today, quite breezy and 56°F. The breeze is quite cold though so it feels cooler. Today was the annual garden club plant swap so I was very glad the rain held off! Managed to sell a few plants and brought home a few new ones as well :-) Still, I sold a lot less than last year. People are holding on tighter to their money now ........

Cutie is still here ..... and he's not getting much sleep during the day when the girls are at home poor guy ........ lol (Hamsters are nocturnal and normally sleep during the day) Hildur Eva's determined to turn him on a different schedule so he'll sleep during the night! lol He slept like a log the entire time the girls were at school yesterday! I imagine he'll be happy when the weekend´s over! The girls have gone door to door in the neighboring streets but apparently no one's missing a hamster. I might have to start looking for a hamster cage ..... ;-) He's currently residing in Frida's (our rabbit) carry cage.

Sharon - hope it stops raining soon! Pretty Phal :-)

Ric - cute photo :-)

Have a good evening!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Rann, he really is cute!
I'm sorry I'm on the run again, just a quick note for now : The noo kitty is scared of the dogs who come at the fence barking at her, so she's been hiding under the car today. I named her Lily, although DH wanted Daphne.
I've been pulling weeds outside the yard , the ones growing near the fence and I'm beat ! I think I'll go to bed and hopefully, I'll sleep well...I hope tomorrow I'll be able to get out of bed!LOL
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Adina, it looks like you have some nice African violets.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on May 23, 2009
75 °F
Clear
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 47 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.90 in (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

We went to the Arboretum today. It felt hotter than 75F.

orchids in the orchid house

Thumbnail by Kelli

alluaudia

Thumbnail by Kelli

matilija poppy

Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Market Day.
Lousy weather, not what the weather liars predicted. Sprinkle rain all morning & cloudy. Of course the sun came out at 12:15. Beautiful afternoon.
So sales were slow.
A guy in Mankato had a Hostas sale. I went late in the afternoon. He gave me a tour of his beds. Very nice & lots of varieties. All with EON markers. I bought a Blue Angel & a Leading Lady from him.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well Adina it appears you now have a Cat.
I like both names....lol!

Rann I've found many odd pets roaming around in my time.
An 2 Horses, an Alligator, Boa, Snapping Turtle, Parrot and of course cats and dogs but I've never heard of someone finding a Hamster.
How odd! But a cutie!

Kiska it looks SO Green!

Sharon nice job!

Bernie we plant specimen Hosta as Grave Markers for our pets.
H. 'Blue Angel' marks R.I.P.'s (one of our dear Tabby Cats and a Rabbit hunter extraordinaire).
It's our favorite Blue Hosta . Beware of the sun though they burn easily.

Kelli you're killing me! LOL!

90°F here today.
We had to water for the first time this year.
Rain should be moving in by evening tomorrow.
The yard is shaping up nicely..... weather permitting we should be about done planting by Tuesday.
Robyn did TONS of seedlings.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

HOT!!! Sunny too. Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't on asphalt. LOL. I go under the eaves and work when it gets to be too much. Greenhouse and sun are too hot. Shady area is nice and coooooool. LOL

(Zone 7a)

Adina, that's cute you both want to name her after flowers. Why not name her both? I think Lily Daphne is pretty. Isis has a full name...Isis Drisilla Veruca Santiago.

Stay cool, Pepper! To heck with the asphault. Tell them you have a condition.

Ric, thanks. We needed something silver/white to light it up. There are Shasta daisies back there, too.

A pretty overcast day today. Very pleasant. 83º

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Overcast and breezy, no rain yet. 55°F.

Ric - it is weird, I can't imagine the little guy could travel very far on his own so we naturally thought he must have wandered out of some of the neighboring houses ....... but no one seems to be missing a hamster. Wow - I wouldn't be willing to take in an alligator, boa or turtle! lol Fortunately it's highly unlikely we'd find something like that wandering around, reptiles are illegal here and if found they are destroyed. Still there are always some people who try to keep them as pets ..........

Adina - Lily Daphne is very cute! And your lawn is so green! :-)

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Finally a temp break.
It's 70º and was all night.... but rain is moving in.... they're saying 75º for the high.
We're doing a Family Party today later in the afternoon.
Hope the rains hold off till evening.

One of our new Clematis.
Think Concord Grape Purple.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Very pretty, Ric. Have fun with your family.

Lots of rain here last night. More on the way.

59.3 °F with 73º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 51 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

1st mini rose of the year.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

NOID rambler.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

This bed is going to be extended to the edge of the driveway.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celia I'll get you the Rosa ID.
It's probably a 'Rootstock' Rambler.
When they graft roses they use certain Rambling varieties for vigor.
If the grafted top rose dies these come up.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

You could be right, Ric. It was here when we moved in and is growing behind the Golden Showers. I have to cut it way back after it blooms and a couple times thru the summer.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Like yesterday

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 24, 2009
74 °F
Clear
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 17 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I've got another video for you to look at if you want. The camera seems to make things look more squat and further away (or something) than in real life. Again, it's not exciting but it might be educational.
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/travel_and_culture/watch/v18507876tZATM7qp#

more Arboretum - kapok tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

kapok tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

daylily section

Thumbnail by Kelli

daylilies

Thumbnail by Kelli

The statue says "I will not forget" in French. My guess is that it is a WWI memorial, but I don't know.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Cool and cloudy today. Yipeee!!!!! Now if I could just figure out what's wrong with my truck. It seems like the tranny is bucking on me but it didn't do it for my dad when he drove it around today. Truck just likes to yank my chain. LOL

One of my irises that I got from Powell Gardens. Have no clue on it's name this year. Last year I could have told you. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

O2 Sensor Pep?

Kelli THANKS that was fun!
know that stretch of road! LOL!
We drove that gravel road the runs along side too.
Picked up some rocks and a few photos.

We had a few giant drops of rain and a few mild cool breezes.
Mostly though it was calm, hot, muggy and still..... 73° and 84% Humidity .
Now they are saying slight to moderate chance of rain all week.

New pot and a new Cordyline
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Take it to an authorized dealer for your brand of truck. They have better computer equipment than the backyard mechanics. Two years my truck was acting that way, his scanner didn't find the problem. He even put in a new fuel pump, $600. I took it to the Dodge dealer, they put their scanner on & it told them is was the O2 sensor. They put a new one on & it hasn't missed a beat since. $120.

Went for a drive tonight. Just took some back roads. All to see was corn & soybean fields. But it was something a little different. Stopped at a Dairy Queen for a snack for supper.

68º tonight, so veggies should grow a bunch tonight. Things are coming along great. Been doing a little watering. We use T-Tape so once it's on the rows, it's just a matter of turning on a section. It don't use much water either. Anyone want to look,
http://www.t-tape.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.