HVX Example photos. Known "Infected" pics only, Part 2

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Am continuing this from part 1 now that some of us are beginning to find infected plants in our gardens.

Largosmom started part 1 with these words

Quoting:
Hi all, this thread is to help others learn to identify HVX on their hostas. Please post your photos of "known" infected hostas...or at least "likely" hostas. In order to keep this thread focused, please post your pic of a hosta needing HVX identification in a new thread...it will get immediate attention that way. I hope this is OK as we have info scattered about. I have a few photos of hostas obviously infected, and some likely ones that I can share. Apologies on the clarity of some of the photos. I took many with a new camera phone. Warning on my photos, I use Paint Shop Pro to color correct and enhance my photos. It is needed due to the lack of control or lighting at the nurseries where I took many of my photos. It is possible that this process may enhance some aspects of the leaves so that you can tell if the hosta may have HVX, or it may make a "possible" look infected when it may not be. Hopefully Chris or the "real" experts will post if they see something that needs correction. I've also done my best to get the variety of the hosta correct, but in many cases am depending on the tag, which I take of a photo of prior to photographing the rest of the hosta...sometimes the glare washes out the name. Again, corrections are invited.

You can go back to look at Part 1 at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/615405/

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The picture above and the next couple are from my infected Mountain Snow. It only unfurled in the last two days and Chris from Hallson' s said, "Yes, that is Hosta Virus X. The lighter color is right along and radiating out from the veins.

Sorry :("

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Another leaf

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

wow, sorry to see that.
Thanks for showing us what to watch out for.
Guess i need to go do an inspection myself.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

My 'Stained Glass' and 'Guacamole' looked terrible early this year, they both frost heaved. They are also both from the same garden center, planted at the same time last summer. New leaves grew out on Guac and it looking a lot better, but I have some serious concerns about SG.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

ic_conifers - please post pictures of them on a separate thread here on DG and also on Hallson's HVX forum and if they are confirmed as infected, then post them on this thread as well. The Hallson forum is at: http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63 You have to sign up to post, but it's free and Chris is likely the best expert on HVX in the business.

This message was edited May 22, 2009 11:53 AM

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Viola, I won't post them here unless they are confirmed, I will post them in a separate thread.

Elizabeth

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

this is one I found in our RV Park.... you all said it was infected, and i never posted a photo.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Dallas, TX

OMG Tee! which Hosta is this?

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

I haven't had HVX on any of mine yet. I hope it never happens, I guess I'm just lucky. early on I bought some from the box stores. but then I saw what could happen and stopped buying from them and have limited my buying to one catalog nursery. Jim

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:

which Hosta is this?

I do believe this should be Gold Standard.
I finally posted the image on Hallson's and a few folks said it is indeed infected.

Dallas, TX

Oh yes ... for sure Tee! I am glad its not in your yard.
Jim thats a really good Idea, buy all your stuff from one nursery! I use the same cuation with my growers. I dont use but three and one of them do all the TCs around, so I find them above reproach.If something special come up that I cant live without, I would go to Jim's in Dubuque, if he dont have it ... nobody does.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I can't buy all my stuff from one nursery, I like too many different things : ) There really is no one nursery that has all the hostas that I have in my yard. There are hosta breeders within two hours of my house that have 4,000+ cultivars, but they don't have in-stock everything that I want.

ic_conifers, I'm wondering how many really would pass the 10 foot rule? I try to stick to that. there are soo many look alikes that are registered now days. I even find it hard to cull out simular ones of my hybrids. I keep saying, well, maybe I should give it another year. then another. I have over 20 Skylight X Empress Wu crosses. only 3 are impressive. I hope I don't have that problem if I ever have a plant with HVX. a very good friend of mine had a gold standard with the virus, and wouldn't dig it up. I told her that if she got rid of it, I would give her a new one. so she did, Jim

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ahem! We need to keep this particular thread mostly for pictures of plants to have confirmed HVX. Too much other chatter and it won't be as useful.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

It was rather cold and wet when the hostas were emerging this year; one week in particular we had close to 5" of rain, which I think contributed to some of them looking a bit distorted.

Anyway, I tested five hostas this spring with the Agdia strips. Two hostas tested positive for HVX, Blue Umbrellas and Earth Angel. The nursery where I purchased Earth Angel just last year took took the situation very seriously. The owner even asked me to bring her some test strips to test a few, which we did. Samples from both her suppliers (reputable tissue culture labs) checked out clean. We narrowed it down to possible cross contamination in her greenhouse, so she is ordering lots of strips and going to do batch testing on her stock.

Here is 'Earth Angel' showing the the collapsed tissue.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

The collapsed tissue stands out even more on Blue Umbrellas:

Thumbnail by sanannie
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Sorry for the chatter Ann : )

Sandy, do all of the leaves look like that on your Earth Angel and Blue Umbrellas, or just a few?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Elizabeth, No, only one or two leaves .....

Here's the whole plant of 'Earth Angel'

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

.... and 'Blue Umbrellas'

Thumbnail by sanannie
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Sandy, was Blue Umbrellas new last year, too? I'm trying to get a sense of how soon, on average, a plant will exhibit symptoms assuming it is infected when you bought it. So far I've had two cases that showed signs at the start of their third season in my garden. Really sorry about your latest ones.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Thanks Noreaster. I bought 'Blue Umbrellas' from her in '06. She said her original stock came from the Dutch (field-grown), pre-HVX awareness.

Sandy

Sandy, are you sure those plants in the pics have HVX? I don't see the same blotchiness as the other pics show. yours are just mishapen leaves. but I'm just an observer not an expert. Jim

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Jim - Sandy tested them with the Agdia strips. I saw the plants as well. They are infected.
Ann

If you look at her first two pics, you can see the areas of collapsed tissue. With both my cases of HVX on Halcyon and Wolverine, they had the collapsed tissue, but none of the trademark blotchiness or ink bleed effect.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Whereas my Gypgy Rose http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3762764 and Mountain Snow (above in this thread) had no collapsed tissue at all. And my Lakeside Looking Glass last year mostly just looked really sick http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5123796

Interesting that two of the plants above were purchased in 2006 as were some of Sandy's. That might have been the peak of getting infected plants from reliable nurseries.

I think Chris at Hallson's mentioned in one of his posts on the HVX part of his forum that a plant had to be infected for quite a while to display the collapsed tissue...so maybe it is an advanced symptom and the ink bleed earlier? I imagine different cultivars just display the virus differently, as well.

I remember your Looking Glass, Ann...that sure was a weird looking case of it.

I'll see if I can find that post on Hallsons..maybe I remembered it wrong.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 2:25 PM

Sandy, Viola Ann, Noreaster, thanks for the explanation, now I'll know what to look for, other than the colors blotching, Jim

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

bump

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

bump again

Spooner, WI

Gold Standard after growing this way for about 4 years (taken last year).

Thumbnail by ptilda
Spooner, WI

And this year, before being destroyed...

Thumbnail by ptilda
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Hosta Mildred Seavers with HVX

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by weeding
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Not my plant but photo taken from a brochure from Iowa State University entitled Hosta Diseases and Pests. You can read it here. http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/SUL14.pdf

Thumbnail by franknjim
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

it's time this thread was bumped up to be current.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

This is my choo-choo train what do you think?

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Regal Splendor... not a very good photo..

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

gardenlady123 - this is a thread for pictures of plants that are CONFIRMED to have HVX. The Choo-Choo Train certainly looks suspicious, but it would be best to have it confirmed elsewhere.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry I forgot. I am upset about how it looks. Will post elsewhere. Thanks.

Valparaiso, IN

General question about Hosta Virus X: Does it spread to other plants beyond hostas?

In other words, if your hostas become infected does it also have a negative effect on the plants around it or is it at least contained to the hostas?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.