Harvesting rhubarb

Alfred Station, NY(Zone 5b)

I have a rhubarb patch, just a small one, that was planted by the previous owner of our property. I've never grown rhubarb before, but I intend on making some strawberry-rhubarb pie!

My question is on harvesting - should I limit how much I harvest from a given area? Should I harvest only the largest stalks? Is it like harvesting swiss chard where you can take the large stalks and the plants will produce more from the center or do you only get a set number of stalks from a given "crown" (I don't know if that's the correct term) each year?

I don't want to over harvest, but I want to harvest as much as possible. :-)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i should have my mil answer this one she picks our rhubarb for pies - you do not want stringy stalks which would be the large ones - i'd pick the middle sized ones - do not worry about taking too much rhubarb the stiff grows like crazy.

where is Tamworth i love rhubarb/strawberry pie? home made crust or store bought? very important

It's near Conway. I can make my own crust, but those crusts that you buy in the refrigerated section that are rolled up on wax paper are almost as good. Mine is better of course. ;-)

Thanks!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I am interested to know this, too. Mine seems to have stopped growing. The stalks aren't very big.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my neighbor just yanks them out of the ground when ready.... and said to leave 3 or 4 stalks on the plant each time she harvests .... I just got several stalks from her last week... hers are massive this year... can't wait to make a pie!!

I was thinking of mulching around the patch with a combination of composted sheep and chicken bedding. Give it a little boost. The soil here isn't that rich, although it drains well - very sandy.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

conway - a bit to far - i asked my mil today to grab more rhubarb:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.