Japanese Maple Green lacey leaf

My Green Laceyleaf Japanese Maple looks like it was grafted to a red Japanese Maple. When it blooms and puts on seed pods, will they be red or green, or what will it do??

Kaysville, UT(Zone 5a)

I'm no expert, but from everything I know, the seeds will be true to the top and not the rootstock.

OK, great.I was hoping they would be but was not sure. I didn't know they grafted them, but I'm asmost sure mine is. Thanks.

Kaysville, UT(Zone 5a)

It is unusual for someone to graft a green JM to a red JM rootstock. I have only heard of it the other way because the red JM are harder to grow. Anything is possible.

Well, I have green lacey leaves at the top, and plant Id. said green lacey leaf, but it has red leaves coming out on the bottom. And there is a scar close to middle way up.

Kaysville, UT(Zone 5a)

Sounds like green grafted on red rootstock.

That's why I was wondering about what the seeds would be since it probably is 2 plants. I never had a grafted tree before.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree on the seeds being from the top not the rootstock, but if your green is a named cultivar, the seedlings likely won't be exactly like it either since JM's don't necessarily come true from seed. That has nothing to do with it being grafted though, even if it was on its own roots it still wouldn't come true from seed.

OK, thats nice to know. I may try to see what a seed will grow just for fun when it's ready. Just tag it and watch it, now that I know that. Thanks everyone. This is so interesting.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Some of my green seedling maples have red seed pods so when you get to see the pods you'll know what color they will be!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.