Novice Clematis grower

Starkville, MS

I plan to order a couple of Clematis to add to my garden. In years past I had not had good luck with them. I am in Zone 7b------in humid Mississippi. Could anyone suggest a couple of names of the most dependable that I can order?

Thank you,
Shirleyd

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

From Lynn in humid 7b - Texas:

Jackmanii
Niobe
Candida
General Sikorski
Blue Light
Nelly Moser (it's light pink, so don't put it in full sun like mine is, or it fades)

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Blue Light

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Oh, forgot Ville de Lyon

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Niobe

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Starkville, MS

Thank you all for suggestions

Shirleyd

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi! I have been lurking and learning on this forum for a while.I am also interested in clematis for those hot hot summers. I found this list by BlissfulGardens helpful and the list by the International Clematis Society in one of the threads
Beginnershttp://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/988310/
http://eveysblissfulgarden.com/clematis/PlantingSuggestions.htm
Like you, I find it great to see live reports!
I have Jackmanii that is very vigorous. Have Belle of Woking for the same amount of time that is struggling Embarrassed to say it has been 6 years....think it is representing my state of knowledge! Have several others that are still too young.
Anna

Thumbnail by bananna18
Delaware, OH

anna, the belle of woking is a very tough clem to grow. i would not judge your ability with clems by this one. it either establishes well, or doesn't and i can relate, as i have one 3 years old that is shorter than yours and i keep changing the food, even foregoing the possibility of a good bloom period by pinching it back to try and create a nice plant, but it just "doesn't pay the rent" as mary toomey has been known to say. i recently put another one in , in a different garden entirely to see if i get a better plant. it was from a different source too.

duchess of edinburgh is like this too and as an example, i have one mature one that is magnificant. will be posting pics soon as blooms open on it. but i have two others, put in the same year (at least 5 years ago) that die back after a few feet of growth every year. they will eventually be pulled out when i need the space and give up on them. they are in a different garden area than the one that is a good plant, but there is no variable in treatment, location, water, light etc that could be causing the performance difference. it is the plant.

concentrate on some type 3's and the recommendations of the warmer zone gardeners on the forum here. i am not sure at age 6 how you can rehab the plant, but it may involve moving it, pruning it back severely and not worrying about blooms for the current or next year, concentrate on getting the plant to a better level of health. when they are like this, something is interfering with the plant's ability to take in nutrients adequately, and it may just be the genetics of this plant and where it comes from vs anything you can do.

glad to see you on the forum, and happy clemming this summer!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the encouragement! I bought them both at a local garden store and just had to try. I am originally from Canada and it seems the Jackmanii almost grows wild there.Pleased that it does well here too. I even got a seedling sprouting.
Irwells, the Ville de Lyon is beautiful. That is one of the "liners" as you guys say, that I have. Hopefully I won't be waiting too long for that show. Are you planning on getting any others so we can add to our hot list?
Anna

Thumbnail by bananna18

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.