Newbie introduction

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Since I've been lurking here for a while I thought I would finally introduce myself. I'm in NW Missouri and have been working on a shade garden in the woods behind my house. I've used natives along the edges and pretty much anything that is cheap and hardy everywhere else. Seems like I got a little carried away with the size of it and the critters have given me fits. After a couple of years it is finally filling out and beginning to look like something.

Thumbnail by DebbieLou519
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome!!! You will love the folks here - they are just the nicest people you can imagine!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kay.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, welcome DebbieLou. Hi Kay, didn't you used to live in Independence?

Yes, shortleaf - I moved from Independence to Lee's Summit, and now I'm in PCB, Florida - LOVE IT!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

She's got thin blood and can't stand the cold. LOL!!

Pepper, you know me too well - I freeze until July and it goes downhill from there! LOL Here, we can garden 11 months of the year - I know, it's tough, but someone's gotta do it!

I like my winters. I would get bored with nice weather year round. LOL

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Livin' on the water in the panhandle! I hear the water there is nice and the sand is white!
11 mos. a year?! Bragger! : )
I don't have to worry about stepping on jellyfish though!
Kay has thin blood!!

A big welcome to you DebbieLou! Glad to have you join us..your shade garden is really shaping up.

Sarasota, FL

Hey Debbie,
Welcome! I too live in NW Missouri. I'd love to see more photos of your shade garden. I'm really curious to know what native plants you incorporated in it.
Steph Boles

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Steph. I'm from Savannah too. The native plants I've used are Celandine Poppies, Black Cohosh, Squaw Weed (absolutely love that stuff!), Christmas Fern, Columbine, Campanula Americana, Ginger, Goat's Beard, Alum Root (aka Coral Bells) and what I hope will be False Solomon's Seal. I dug it up at my ex-husband's old place and I won't know for sure what it is until it blooms. The garden backs up to the woods and I don't want to be responsible for a kudzu-like invasion of something in Andrew County so I've used the natives along the top and edges so I don't have to worry about something escaping. It is hard to capture in a photo (or at least it is for me given my less than stellar photographic abilities) but the garden is on a really steep bank and not having to drag the hose up to the top to water is a real bonus! I've also got lots of critters to contend with and they pretty much leave that stuff alone.

This is the Alum Root/Coral Bells

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

This is the squaw weed and some ginger.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Celandine poppies

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Not the best photo here but you can see some ginger, fern and sweet William. The neighbor's property is just beyond the fence and you can see that it is a complete jungle. The monster rock is my 'garden bench' that I rolled down from further up the hill.

Sarasota, FL

Holy Cow, DebbieLou! We simply must 'Do tea.' :-) How exciting that I found a Dave's Garden friend so near me. I am outside Savannah on the family farm. Seven miles actually. And it is lightening so now I am getting off this computer!

Josette~ send some rain this way please.....

Keep the tennis ball sized hail and funnel clouds though. LOL

The rain will hit us tomorrow. We are under a slight risk for severe storms tomorrow. I'll be busy putting plants on the ground tomorrow afternoon so the storms don't blow them all over the place.

Sarasota, FL

It grumbled and we had lightening here, but we've yet to get any rain. It's still grumbling a bit. I am going to hope over to the Trash to Treasure boards. Talented folks over there! Love trash to treasure!
Blessings,
Steph(Josette63)

We received light rain late last night and early this morning ....very nice watering for the flowers and lawn and the sun is out now for the pumpkins.

Trash to treasure does have some interesting and creative ideas that I would like to copy in my gardens as well.

A little bit of everything today. I had to spend the last 40 minutes of work inside because of the hard rain and lightning. Wasn't too bad. Helped unload some tropical plants. :~) I'm hoping now that some seeds I planted outside germinate with the rain.

Hoping for some germination too...the bunnies got to my tomato plants before I finished the garden fence....

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Steph, yes indeed, we must 'do tea'. I don't live in Savannah proper either but rather at the end of the road a couple of miles out.

Sarasota, FL

DebbieLou,
I think I had an utterly 'DAH' moment. If I'd troubled myself to look beneath your name I would have seen that you are from Savannah. Gosh, that was rather dullwitted of me. Smiles! I am laid up with ripped ligaments in my ankle for the next 9 weeks. I can't really do much. But it allows me more time to work on Book 2 in my first Regency series. My editor will be sending back Book 1 for revisions very soon so I will be fairly busy on that as well. Once my ankle improves and I can get around more readily we'll get together if ya like. Is your email addy on your info page here at Dave's. Mine is. You can email me about a time etc.
Blessings,
Steph

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi DebbieLou and Steph, I am just south of you in Plattsburg (my id says KC cause I didn't think anyone would know where Plattsburg is and I work in KC), didn't know you all were up there. Beautiful gardens. Did you guys do tea yet? I have just been emailing a newbie from St. Jo also.

Are you coming to the RU? I will be there, and am so looking forward to it.

Joyce

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.