Bearded Iris blooming on shorter stalks this year!

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Many of my new irises (planted last fall) are blooming this year (for which I'm very grateful!), but most of them are blooming on shorter stalks than my established irises. (The TBs are more like IBs, IBs are more comparable in size to an SDB, etc.) Is this just because they're new and not fully established or could it be the weather? It's been a super wet and cold spring around here. Thanks!

South Hamilton, MA

Could be the influence of both situations. As long as the plant is all right, I would not worry,

IrisMA, thanks! Blossoms are normal size. :-)

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

We are having the same problem, plus some have smaller flowers. We had a very long cold, mostly dry winter with high winds, so believe that's the problem.

NOID ~ lost the label

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

HappyJack Mom, thanks. I'm glad I'm not alone. The fans are shorter on mine as well.

Raleigh, NC

we've had an unusually cold spring, and that's causing the same problems, especially the late cold fronts that came by about the time the IBs usually bloom - they bloomed just one week before the TBs started.

and we saw the same thing at nationals in Kansas City last week. late, short blooms. a lot of folks were commenting that these plants have never bloomed short in their gardens.

Bonjon, now I really feel like I'm in good company! By the way, I have TBs and IBs sending up bloom stalks at the same time. My established TBs appear to be normal -- but now that I think about it, they are about 6 to 8 inches shorter than they might normally be.

Galva, IL

I have big beautiful blooms but some are on stalks barely 8 ins. tall while others are full height. It appears some of my older plants are not true to the colors originally planted. Although good news that some are blooming that haven't in several years. Suppose to rain heavy again tomorrow - NOOOOO. Wonder how odd the daylilies will be this year because of the wet weather. After it was so very cold for so long this winter, I was afraid nothing would survive - now I'm wondering if it will just be odd.

Thumbnail by DianeEG
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have the same thing with my irises. I have one daylily that is getting ready to bloom and is only about 10 inches tall. BEV

Speaking of daylilies, I've noticed "spring sickness" once again on many of the ones in my garden.

South Hamilton, MA

I'm told that is a constant problem. Most recover. the only one which does it here has been planted a long time, & is semi evergreen. We don't have any newer varieties. some DL were given to me by a friend who hybridizes & include a couble seedling which he was not going to introduce. I do prefer the dormant ones is our climate & we are 6a because of being 5 miles from the ocean (as the crow flies) 10 mile by road.

IrisMA, thanks for the insight. I need to concentrate on growing only the dormant ones. The last couple of springs have been "on again - off again"!

South Hamilton, MA

I forgot, we do have 'Pardon Me' small red. It is fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.