Look familiar anyone??

Kansas City, MO

This is a mystery in my garden. It looks like a Keppel creation. The orange beard is a little larger than average. The falls are a muted color, not much saturation of pigment.

Please feel free to take a guess. I do not know where to begin.

Irisawe

Thumbnail by irisawe
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Could be Achy Breacky Heart ???? BEV

Kansas City, MO

The picture is deceiving, the standards are not a bright clean cream like the picture appears. They are a light flesh tone as are the highlighting tones in the falls. There is an overall buffy,creamy flesh tone overall. It is hard to describe. It is pervasive enough that it seems to mute the lavendar and make the colors blend more. the beard DOES pop, though, just like the picture indicates. If I saw it in a Keppel catalog I doubt I would know for certain that I was looking at the same cultivar. I thank you for guessing. You could be right. I do not have that one to compare nor did I ever order Achy Breaky Heart. I have Undercurrent and the colors remind me of the same ones in it but Undercurrent has distinct differences.

Thank you for the input. I will research A.B.H. and see if it is a fit.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Do you happen to know where it came from? Who you got it from? It seems to me I've seen that iris before. It looks a little bit like some of Paul (Mid-America) Black's work too.

If you know where it came from, you can send them the photo and there's a good chance they can ID it positively.

Kansas City, MO

No, I have had it three years and that is the year I bought from so many, Snowpeak, Sandhollow, Schreiners, Cooley's, and several smaller ones, too. I am buying from M.A. for the first time this year. I will call it a noid and send it on its way this year when I cut back. It is pretty but Undercurrent looks the same but on steroids so I will keep Undercurrent. This one increases alottt faster, though.

Starship Enterprise bloomed for the first time today. I have 4 I got of it last year and one came through with a stalk this Spring. It is Gorgeous!!!

Thanks for your input.

K

Kansas City, MO

In checking Keppels lisitings at Napa(they have that "by hybridizer" feature);it looks alot like Balderdash and the description of it!!!

Raleigh, NC

to my eye, this looks a lot more like a half dozen that Black and Tom Johnson have been creating. check out their online catalogues at Mid American Gardens. Paul does a lot with smaller flowered, better growing garden plants. both Snowpeak and Schreiners carry a lot of his stuff.

Kansas City, MO

The coloration in person is like Parisian Dawn. The standards are a pale peachy color and the peachy color wash goes into the lavendar falls making them somewhat washed out. The falls are a grayed lavendar. One of the parents of Parisian Dawn is of all things Balderdash! Here's that name again.

I went through all of the 2009 catalog of M.A. and I see where you are coming from. The bad part is now I wanna buy some MORE from them!! Oh no, not that!!!

It has been sweet to be settled on my order for a couple of weeks and I know they are tired of my adding this and that, one at a time.

The closer we get to delivery the shorter the time is to add on.

I think I will call it a noid and stop torturing myself.

Thanks for your suggestion. It was such a treat to go through their catalog again!!

Irisawe

Kansas City, MO

Could this be Pompeii Lady?????? That has never shown up since I ordered it a few years back.

Kansas City, MO

I am certain after checking pix on plantfiles that it is the missing Pompeii Lady. By the time she bloomed my labeling had gone awry. It feels so good to get these little mysteries settled. Not only that but I had labeled Gypsy Geena with the Pompeii Lady tag that was right next to it after lawnmower damaged it and I found it just laying there.
Now I have her straightened out too. This just gets better all the time!!

I love my new Dymo labeling permanent tags on zinc markers. They are really helping.

Irisawe

Raleigh, NC

this isn't like my pompeii lady at all - unfortunately, I don't own the only photo I have on file for it, so I can't post it here. and it doesn't look at all like my Parisian Dawn, either.

Kansas City, MO

Dave's plantfiles has a picture of Pompeii Lady that matches.

Look at Pompeii Lady on my Trade List(Have) and I think you will see.

Well, maybe my subjective opinion of the colors in Parisian Dawn(I do not have it) are off. Actually the colors, and only the colors look alot like Undercurrent's except not reaching the darkest shades in Undercurrent . I DO have Undercurrent in bloom right now to compare.

Regardless, I really am sure this is what happened. Upon arrival and before ever seeing them in bloom anywhere I planted them next to each other(Pompeii Lady and Gypsy Geena). They did not bloom the next Spring, by that time the tags got messed with and I put the tags back where I thought they had been, not expecting a problem. When it didn't match up with the photos once there were blooms on one the following season I just thought it was mismarked by the grower, not realizing both were mismarked by me in an inadvertant switcheroo. Now both are in bloom and I can see what happened. With one in bloom the presumption was it was the only one mismarked. Now I see what must have taken place. Mind you, this spans several years and my mind is beyond 55plus. Fortunately, no ones life depends on this and no misrepresentation has been made for gain. It is merely a mystery solved to my satisfaction---finally, after several years.

People on this site are sooo helpful and I appreciate it sooo very much,

Irisawe

Winnsboro, TX

It's beautiful and I'm so glad you figured out it's name.
Happy Gardening, Marian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.