Identification help

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

this showed up on one of my wisterias. any ideas?

Thumbnail by 1Birdie
Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

this is another picture

Thumbnail by 1Birdie
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Here are some possibilities. You can determine if any of them "fit" your plant.

Pests and diseases and how to control them

The Wisteria is a very rustic and resistant plant, nevertheless, as every living thing, it does have some adversities that can strike it, for this reason we would like to give a brief description of the principal diseases and the possible remedies:

Black aphid - Plant lice are visible to the naked eye on young sprouting buds especially in spring and in the most humid of seasons, with the dry, warm seasons this problem will be resolved by itself. Black aphid can only be harmful to very young plants. Only if necessary and as a last resort should it be treated with proper pesticides.

Red spider mites - This problem could manifest in the warm and dry seasons, it will affect the entire plant above all the adult leaves, usually giving a dry, singed, appearance. In fact this problem is often mistaken as drought stress. With the help of a magnifying glass it is possible to see the adult spider mites and their eggs on the lower part of the leaf. When the cooler season arrives this problem will resolve itself. Only in the case of a very severe attack should this problem be treated with proper pesticides or the specific biological control (such as predators).

Cryptogam diseases - The leaves could be affected by mildew (Oidium spp.) a fungus that produces a micelius, irregular whitish blotches, sometimes this problem even attacks the new buds. Cercosporae spp. produces circular marks or blotches on the leaves and black spots (Phyllosticta spp.) which produce little necrotic marks. Some varieties are more sensitive than others. None of these diseases will create serious damage and usually it is not necessary to treat them.

Agrobacterium tumefacens – This disease of the root system can cause the death of the plant it can even affect those already well into their adulthood. No remedy or cure is known for this disease but fortunately it is very rare. The bacteria penetrates through wounds or cuts, it is good practice to disinfect cuts and tools before and after use.

Wood decay - The wood of old plants can be attacked by a fungus that causes the Prematura death of the plant. Not much can be done except remove completely the dead wood, cutting back branches up to healthy looking wood, possibly using sterilised tools ( to avoid ulterior contamination sterilised also after use ) and then paint the surface cut with a fungicide paste: this will help to stop other infections to penetrate the cut. If this operation is accurately done it will restore itself to normal health.

Chlorosis - This in fact is not a disease but a deficiency: the low content of nutrients in the ground will cause a decolouration of the leaves (this decolouration can show different tone in respect to the specific nutritive element missing or exciding). This decays in a lack of chlorophyll therefore a poor photosynthesis and poor develop and growth. An example is a soil with a high content of limestone prevents the roots from absorbing iron causing a yellow decolouration of the leaves. To resolve this problem distribute 30g-50g per metre sq. of iron sulphate and 50g-100g per metre sq. of powdered sulphur. Repeat once or twice a year, every year. Sometimes the problem is due to the presence of some buried debris, in such a case it is necessary to remove the debris.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:tv9kmNQ2vMIJ:www.wisteria.it/informa-e.htm+wisteria+diseases+and+bugs&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks Loon, I knew I could count on you!! Now to figure out which one. Upon opening it up,with the naked eye you don't see any bugs in the bumps. When you turn the leaf over, you see this whiteish almost mildew kind of stuff.Real weird. I thought about taking some over to a friend at the MSU extension office. I'd hate to loose this wisteria.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Did you ever find out what the problem was? If it were me, I'd spray it with something. If you have a really good garden center you can take it in and see if they can identify it for you. Back when I lived downstate English Gardens was a great place for help with things like that. They had a huge book they'd look things up in for you. Most of the people working there were hort students. I wouldn't wait too long before treatment. Something like that might destroy your plant. I lost my wisteria. We got a horrible wind that knocked over the trellis and pulled it up out of the ground and I think that killed it. It's too bad because it was young and had already started blooming. You hear so much about people waiting years and no blooms. I might decide to replace it. There was one spring that had a tiny bit of green at the bottom so I'm hoping it might come back. I don't know.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Brenda, NOBODY has identified it yet. I thought I'd take some with me Sat to the swap, and see if any one has ideas. Otherwise Sat night I'm going to take it into a garden center about 35 miles away. I'll let you know what I find out.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Why don't you post your picture and question in the garden pest and disease forum here at Daves. Here's the link

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/pad/all/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

i just did,thanks for the link. as long as I've got you, on the plant identification forum, i am being told this is a weed. I'm sure its not. I bought it a few yrs back, but misplaced the tag. it grows real full(kind of like a bush) and on thick branches.

Thumbnail by 1Birdie
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I don't recognize that but hey...........if YOU like it then it's not a weed to YOU! Remember, a weed is only in the eye of the beholder. My 3 year old granddaughter picked me a dandalion and brought it to me and said, "I love you ga-ga". Well, to her it was the most beautiful flower and I treated it as such and put it in a little glass of water on my table. :)

By the way, I've grown some of the most healthy and beautiful weeds and was not certain of what it was till it bloomed. That's usually the clue for me. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

LOL Brenda!! I know what you mean about the . dandalion. When my youngest was 5 she got off the school bus and came running inside. She said "mommy we're the luckiest people , we have more yellow flowers in our yard than ANY BODY else on our road!!"

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL............well you are lucky! You can eat dandalion greens and some people make wine out of it. I think the dandalion gets a bad rap. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.