Need an alternative for jasmine in Ohio

Chippewa Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Help! I moved back to Ohio after 30 years in California. I always had jasmine vines twining on my porch railings-perennial there.
Can anyone suggest an alternative flowering vine-no preference as to annual or perennial right now-that would be a fast grower, and fill my 'need' for fragrance??
Thanks so much for any suggestions

PS Sorry for the duplicate. I think I posted this wrong the first time!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi
I got this straight from a site: ourohio.org

Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora) is a vigorous vine that can reach up to 30 feet, with delightfully fragrant creamy white flowers in the late summer and fall. This vine grows by way of tendrils and petioles.

Five-Leaved Akebia (Akebia quinata) is a twining vine with dark flowers that produce an enchanting spicy fragrance.

Passion vine (Passiflora incarnate) hasincredibly intricate flowers of purple and white and produces fragrant fruit. Interestingly, this vine dies to the ground during Ohio’s winters and re-grows new vines in the spring. This vine climbs by using tendrils.

Climbing Roses (Rosea) are not really vines, but are rather woody shrubs with vine-like characteristics. These roses do not actually “climb” but have long arching canes that can grow from eight to 10 feet tall. To best manage them gardeners attach or tie them to trellises and arbors. Climbing roses thrive when grown in full sun with well-composted soil.

Climbing Hydrangea (Hydrangeaanomala petiolaris)attaches to structures with root-like holdfasts and has glossy dark green foliage all summer long and white flowers in early-to-mid summer. This clinging vine is slow to establish but well worth the effort.

Silver Lace Vine (Polygonum aubertii)is a fast growing, vigorous twining vine. In September it is covered with drooping fragrant white flowers.

Annual vines

Moon Vine (Ipomoea alba)is a twiningvine with large fragrant white flowers that open in the evening and last until morning, reflecting the light from the moon.

Cardinal Vine (Ipomoea x multifida) blooms all summer long in full sun, with medium green leaves that resemble deeply cut palm fronds and red flowers. This twining vine blooms all summer long in full sun.

Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit), another twining vine,is covered by finely cut medium green leaves with delicate red trumpet flowers that hummingbirds just love.

Morning Glory (Ipomoea purpurea), a favorite old-fashioned flower, is a fast growing twining vine that has four to five inch flowers that bloom in full sun.

Purple Hyacinth Bean (Lablab purpureus) is a twining climber that may take a month to bloom but is well worth the wait. Its dark purple bronze foliage sets the backdrop for the bright purple flowers. The flower spikes are bright purple; as they age the flowers start to turn light purple to almost white.

Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus cossineus), a twining, fast growing vine, has clusters of red flowers and produces edible beans.

Black-eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia) most oftenhas orange to yellow flowers with black throats; there is also a white-flowered variety. Be careful as once the plant starts to set seeds it is done blooming and in many parts of the country with milder winters this twining vine is considered invasive.

Tropical Vines

Mandevilla (Mandevilla splendens) is a tropical vine most commonly found with pink flowers and dark green, leathery foliage that grows best in sun or light shade. This plant is not hardy here in Ohio and should be cut back and brought indoors for the winter.

Bleeding Heart Vine (Clerodendrum thomsoniae) is a tropical vine with red and white flowers that twines and has tendrils.

Vines on trellises create a nice shady retreat and can grow up and over an eyesore. If the garden lacks a wall or fence, try growing a vine in a pot as the focal point, possibly by creating a tuteur in the center of a large container. Even with the emphasis on vertical space, it is important to remember that vines do not always have to grow up; some are more than happy to trail over the edge of a container or along a wall.

hope it helps!

Thank you SO VERY much!! What a comprehensive list, and thanks for the resource web-site.

My decision is made. I had a beautiful passionflower vine winding about the porch on my old house. Had no idea I could grow them here-guess I just tossed them in w/ jasmine as 'tropical'. So very glad to find out I was wrong. I really appreciate your time and energy, and will spend the rest of this evening finding this vine at a local nursery on-line so I can head out and start that project tomorrow.

I'm really excited now to bring a piece of my last landscape to my forever home. You are awesome!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad to help!

If you can find some Purple H.Bean you should also plant a pot (in the sun) Give them a good place to climb and they will fill a trellis in a short season. These are wonderful!! Be sure to save the dried seeds for the following year. The display it will put on for you will be worth your efforts.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

CL - the 2 Passis that come back from root each spring/summer (here in 7A) are Maypop and Incense...love the look and scent of both. Sadly my Sweet Autumn Clematis had no scent to my nose but many have said theirs did. My Akebia quinata also came back from her roots - I've yet to have blooms so I can't speak for the scent on that one - sounds yummy though!!!

Thanks MissingRosie for the idea about the beans! My friend and I who are working on landscaping will certainly give that a try-sounds fun to watch while we are out there sweating!!.

Chantell, thanks to you for the actual name of the hardier passionflowers. Will search them out...and I've never heard of the Akebia . I'm going to do a web-search right now!

An aside, our local nursery had cotton seeds this year, so I picked up a pack. The plants are supposed to have pretty pink flowers, and grow to be 5 feet tall! I realized I've never seen cotton except in large fields. The seeds germinated within 4 days, and it looks like a fast growing experiment. Thanks again for all your help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.