Mini-Roundup in Calgary, 2009

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

UPDATED - Mini-Roundup in Calgary (PotLuck)!

Ok - here's a list of who's coming - if it's changed, please let me know:

Pelech (Donna) - welcome to our group, Donna
Grow-Jo (Jo-North) - potato salad
AlbertaRosey (Jane)
Joannabanana (Jo-South) - deep fried turkey
FancyVan (Carol) (Corn salad)
Redheadedwonder (Lisa) (unable to make it)
Tallulah_B (Susan) - home made buns
Gardenerkett (Cath)
Horsefethers (Nancy)
CLScott (Caroline)

It's at Joannabanana's (Jo-South) - D-MAIL ME for with the address, for those who haven't been there before, and also for your PotLuck offering, so I can post it.
The date is Aug 22 from Noon to 4pm.
It's not required, but if you'd like to - bring some plants, and we can share.

Previous posting - "Carol has hosted it for the past 2 years (thank you for all your hard work, Carol!!)."

-Susan-

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009 9:38 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan date correction - July 18/19 I am away not June. and it is the August long weekend for the dog show!

11/12 July is last weekend of Stampede. Garden Competition will take up 2 weekends in July for some of us also so.......

How about 15/16 August.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If it is in Mid August, then my place is open for a visit. August 15th would probably work the best.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm not here Aug 15/16; bro's wedding in Vancouver. So far I'm good for every weekend but August 1/2, August 15/16 and August 22/23.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That sort of takes care of August Les! LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm around pretty much for the whole summer.

Joanne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I was thinking that too LOL! Don't worry about me. I will just live for the pics and be there next year if the 15th works best for the rest of you.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Besides not knowing my June from my July, I'm good for August 15/16, too. LOL

I'm still on vacation then, and my mom may still be here :-)
Carol's met her, and if you don't mind my bringing her with me, then I like that weekend.
Joanne - thank you for offering your place.
I'll d-mail everyone. I think you all know my personal shaw email, right? If not, d-mail me, and I'll "shaw" mail you lol

now - we just have to think of potluck items. Shall we do a theme? If so, I can think of theme related stuff to do :-)

Thanks to everyone!

- Susan -

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan if this date looks good then I would suggest you now go thru the subscriber list - and send everybody in Alberta a D mail with the date - place TBA
and get some idea of numbers.

carolvan

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you, Carol

Calgary, Canada

I am not around that weekend but will participate in spirit! Theresa

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan
Count me in , you've got Dmail.
Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you, Ann :-)

-Susan-

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Update - as a lot of people don't seem to be available in Calgary for the August 15/16th weekend, I propose we have it TBA for date & location.

I will organize it, but don't have room in my trailer if it's inclement weather (have loads of room on my deck - 16x19' - for an outdoor one, however...)
As I said, I'll organize it (I love organizing lol), and if someone will offer their home, that would be fantastic!
So - all our 'buds' who want to have a Calgary mini-roundup, and visit from near & far - please let me know what dates are good for you, and if you'd offer your space to a mini-roundup - I'll work on the other stuff!

-Susan-

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Only other weekend that works for me is August 22 or 29
Im tied up already in July with Garden Competition and Lougheed House events and a sheltie party in Edmonton!

If dates are an issue maybe just drop this for 2009 and plan it for nextyear and pick a date really early! Like in January!

We do not after all have to have one every year!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm easy/peasy. I plan to have a 'Tea with the Dahlias' in late Aug/early Sept. If that works for the Edmonton folks maybe we could do that as a mini-roundup?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm easy/peasy too :-)
Whatever works for the majority is what I'm good with!
Tea with the Dahlias, eh? I think you've "turned" me - I've been looking @ dahlias in a new light since I've met you, and (you'll agree with this, for sure) I think they're beautiful! For some reason I never really looked at them before. Probably because they I thought they were expensive annuals.............but I understand they're perennials!? The sites I checked said both, and one said it was a tender perennial.
C'mon Leslie - give me the gardening dirt on dahlias!

-Susan-

Calgary, Canada

Count me in for tea with the dahlias! Theresa

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

1) Theresa you must come by really soon to pick up you perennial geraniums (and so I can stuff dahlias in your vehicle).
2) TallulahB you must come by really soon for any reason (so I can stuff dahlias in your vehicle). Seriously! Don't buy! I have lots of extras potted up and growing that need homes. This will give you a chance to see if you like them. They are not perennials. They are tender tubers that are hardy to zone 8 and must be dug and stored in cowtown. But since I always have lots of extras you needn't think about that. this year ^_^ Dmail me for pick up.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

bump!

I'm going to Re-post, and get it out to all DGers in Alberta!.
Aug 15/16 @ Joannabanana's sounds best!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Will need to be the 15th. The Rose Society has asked if I would do an open garden and that is set for the 16th

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

O wow - how awesome for you!!

And my mom catches the plane home that night....her flight is 6:50 pm.....
I'll be able to help orgnaize, etc, but can't do much to setup unless it's the day before....well, we'll see what I can do - as much as I absolutely CAN!!
(so there! lol)
Want to help you do anything I can for the Rose Society showing too :-)

-Susan-

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My garden is what it is. Sometimes you have to watch where you step and it may be "in works" of some project, but that is what it is. Hopefully by August it is free sailing

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hey - your garden is beautiful! You know best what you're doing for projects. I just thought if you needed some extra hands for grunt work, I could help. I would NEVER presume to help with anything other than grunt work LOL

I've never had a garden as nice as yours nor anyone want to view it, so I don't know what you'd do to get it ready (IF anything needs doing at all!). I remember last year that Carol was putting either manure, or soil booster on her garden to make it ready for viewing and some friends helped her out. I was going along the premise that you may need the same kind of help :-)

-Susan-

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Ladies,
Would you mind if I joined up with you in August?
I am originally from Calgary, but have lived on the Gulf Coast now for 8 years.
We try and come back to Calgary for a month or so each year to escape the heat and enjoy the beautiful summer in Calgary. This year August 1-Sept 15.
Met up with Carol last year and enjoyed viewing her beautiful gardens!
Would love to meet the rest of the Calgary DG'rs!
Cheers
Cath

Keli and I

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan,

I don't really do anything special other than maybe deadhead some obvious eyesores. So, just help with organizing refreshments & munchies would all that would be necessary.

Cath,

That would be awesome; hope you can fit it in your schedule. You are welcome to bring Keli if you think he/she will get along with a little pom, Todd. Ted, I mean Todd, just got a hair cut.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Todd usually has long hair for the winter, so his summer look is quite different

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Keep me posted.
Your little pom is sooo cute! Love the upside down photo!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Todd looks so naked! LOL. He is so adorable. He's one of the nicest dogs I've ever met.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

From another thread, it looks like Saturday, August 22 has been chosen for the Round-UP.

Susan will update us on the details.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yup, it's a vote for Sat Aug 22nd.
Sorry for being so slow posting, Joanne - doing it now
(had unexpected company tonight, so not on the 'puter til now...)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

AlbertaRosey (Jane)
FancyVan (Carol)
Redheadedwonder (Lisa)
Gardenerkett (Cath)

It's at Joannabanana's (Jo-South) - I'll d-mail you with the address, for those who haven't been there before.
The date is Aug 22 from Noon to 4pm, potluck.
It might be a good idea to bring some lawn chairs - what do you think Joannabanana?

I'm still waiting to see if JargonJune (Lynn) will be coming.
Update - Lynn won't be able to come, unfortunately
Annabell52 (Ann) won't be able to come, either

This message was edited Jul 31, 2009 6:02 AM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi All
I don't think I can promise to make the 22 as I planed to be in Calgary for the 15 and still will be there for family but I will see. I will check with Lynn for you and let you know. I have a direct email and talk to her regularly.
Thanks for including me.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will do a deep fried turkey to go with those homemade buns and potato salad

Ann,
If you are unable to make it the 22nd for the RU, perhaps you would have time to stop by the weekend of the 15th.

Cath (Gardenerkett) had mentioned above that she may be able to attend as well.

Joanne

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Joanne
Hi I will try to, I still have your info at home. It will be a work weekend to help my folks on their acreage. Our "gifts" for BDays are our time in their garden to do what ever they need that is a bit too difficult for them. Sister who had her back broken does all the cooking as she can't do lifting and the rest of us are yard workers. All in all it ends up being a good time even with the work.
I will be arriving late friday night and then work Sat and leave by Sunday lunch. I've already booked to take a break and pop over to Fancyvan's as it is fairly quick to get there from Old Banff Coach Road. I have Joannabanana's and Taullaha's phone numbers just in case I get more time. Gee it could almost be another RU, LOL.
Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hahahaha would be nice, eh?
Joanne's been to my place to drop off a plant (while I was away), but she's never seen me in action in my garden, etc! lol
Maybe the 2 of you could come by my place? It's my mom's last day in Calgary before she heads home to Winnipeg ^_^
Maybe we can work something out for a quick stop - I know you've got a lot on your place, Ann......

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I will keep your numbers close and keep it in mind!
Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

good!! ^_^

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan, you are confusing me...

I have copied your update to this post:

UPDATED - Mini-Roundup in Calgary (PotLuck)!

AlbertaRosey (Jane)
FancyVan (Carol)
Redheadedwonder (Lisa)
Gardenerkett (Cath)

It's at Joannabanana's (Jo-South) - D-MAIL ME for with the address, for those who haven't been there before, and also for your PotLuck offering, so I can post it.
The date is Aug 22 from Noon to 4pm.
It might be a good idea to bring some lawn chairs - what do you think Jo?

Previous posting - "Carol has hosted it for the past 2 years (thank you for all your hard work, Carol!!)."

-Susan-

This message was edited Jul 31, 2009 6:10 AM

Ok...No need for lawn chairs, have lots of chairs

I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone.

Joanne

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

What part's confusing you, Joanne?
I edited most of the previous post out, because what was important was thanking Carol for previous years' organizing, and took out the stuff that was no longer valid so it Wouldn't be confusing current and previous facts.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.