Low Temps and Crazy Rain

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi, everyone, I'm a lurker, mainly, but in spring I occasionally post and year-round I always enjoy everyone's pix and posts.

Here on Sunday night, May 17, this Maryland native transplant to the Generally Perfect Hudson Valley is needing to vent a little.

Tonight, we're supposed to go down to 35 degrees and tomorrow night ... down to 31!! Grrrrrrrrrr ... mid May in the Hudson Valley!

Naturally, I had put all of my seedlings and tender, tropical "finds" from Lowe's, HD, etc., that I've been nurturing in my south windows and under lights all spring out over the last 10 days or so ... not out in the garden, but out near the house in little red wagons and wheel barrows to harden them off.

This morning, I found them all totally drenched from last night's huge rain ... yes, I know, beneficial rain except in my little red wagons! Poor, bedraggled squashes and eggplants and tomato seedlings which were so happy just a day ago!

I think I've saved them. BUT what a job.

And because, naturally, we're going away for a few days, I've just spent the last 2 hours bringing back in, situating in the barn, covering w/ sheets, and putting my 2 new hanging baskets ... bought because my son is coming up for Memorial day ... in the (#*$!! bathtub.

Hopefully, they wont be dried out and crispy when I get back on Thursday night.

First the 90 degree week that blew out three weeks worth of tulips in 3 days.

And now 31 degrees.

Am I complaining and whining?

YES I AM.

(sorry)

Oh, and to make up for my crankiness, I've added a pix of the huge bloom on one of my tree peonies.

This message was edited May 17, 2009 5:55 PM

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Well, I couldn't find a way to post that peony, but here it is now ...

Thumbnail by daisygrrl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Picture?
Whinning is OK...you should hear me in Feb. ^_^
We are getting down low tonight too. I already hauled all my seedlings in for the night, out again in the morning and in again tomorrow night. It's the way things are here in the Northeast....you'll get used to it. lol Only another week or two more and it will be OK.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I've been to Rhinebeck , NY and it ALWAYS rains while we're there! I hear your whine and I'll raise you a squawk!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It's a huge peony and beautiful too!!

oh yeah - I am Happy happy - joy joy with the temps

Thumbnail by
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It's ok to complain about this crazy weather. Love that blossom, look how huge!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great peony, Daisy!

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Looks like my low tonight is like daisygrrl's. Do I need to bring in perennials that I've bought but haven't planted yet??

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

NO. That's how I learned about perennials in containers.

goodie. I didn't think so but the containers are so small (starter perennials) I didn't know if the roots would be more vulnerable. thanks!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

If you're worried you can move them closer to the house or something. Anything really borderline? I forget you were z. 4!

No, I don't think anything is borderline. I'd say the agastache is, but the ones I planted last year came back, and at least that one is in a slightly larger container. Such an awkward thing - I can think of reasons for and against and can't figure out which is "better" argument :)

I'm thinking that the garden centers won't be bringing them all into greenhouses (too many), so they should be ok on my patio...that's what I keep telling my lazy, sore self!

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I feel your pain. I was hoping to get everything except the veggies in the ground before memorial day weekend but this nasty blast of cold is setting back my plans.

I have 10 roses and 3 clematis that have to wait and since it is supposed to be cold all week and rain the whole Memorial Day weekend. I don't want to put anything in the ground yet. I had been hardening off my seedlings but they are back inside too. I am not liking this warm April cold May spring at all.

edited to add I called my local garden center about the forever and ever hydrangea and he told me he was putting off bringing them in because of the weather this week. Even the local centers are worried about this cold.

This message was edited May 17, 2009 9:04 PM

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

I know I'm taking a chance, but I've got my tomato seedlings all together in a wooden garden cart right next to the house and covered up w/ a sheet. There are also some bigger perennials in that garden cart and I'm hoping they'll all stay warm together!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Good luck, Daisy!! All of us whine from time to time here. Why should you be different?? LOL

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Sometimes venting is good. Especially to friends who understand!

agreed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.