Chicken manure

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I purchased a 50 pound bag of dried chicken manure, it is marked NPK 4-3-2. It is sold by Herbruck Farms in Saranac Michigan. Does any one have experience with this product?

Garyt

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

I use my own chicken, poultry, manure and have had dramatic positive results. On our 80 acre farm, 200 crushed cars were removed 5 yrs ago. In one area the soil actually smelled of gas and oil. I was told nothing would grow there for yrs. I treated it heavily with the manure, newspapers, and leaves. The following yr, the garden was spectacular. This doesn't answer your specific question, but I give a TWO thumbs up to chicken manure.
Birdie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

As long as the manure is dried it should be fine. Never put fresh chicken manure down. I've heard it's very hot and will burn up the ground.

We just got chickens a few weeks ago and I'm composting their manure and pine shavings in a compost bin. I plan to put it down in the fall along with leaves on the veggie garden and let it set all winter. In the spring we'll till it under. I hope to have good results. It is a higher nitrogen fertilizer.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

True, it is hot. check out this web site it explains NPK in different manures.
http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That's a great link birdie. Thanks for sharing.

Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks! It's now in my Favorites list.

Thanks Birdie & Loon

I am going to put the chicken manure with my compost pile and use it the fall. It is
white in color and smells like chicken manure.
I am also going to have chickens for the first time. I am building a truck type coop. It should be done in a week or so. I'm not sure where I will get the chickens yet. We want chickens that look pretty and lays plenty of eggs.
Loon. I pass Thu your town a few times a year. Let me know if you want to trade. I have hydrangeas and some roses.

Gary

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Glad you guys liked it.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Gary,

Please stop by and visit any time you come through Au Gres. I'm just a few miles south of us-23 off of Santiago. You can look at what I have here and help yourself to whatever you can dig up. :) You can see my chickens too. They are about 4 weeks old now I think. We have a big veggie garden as well so maybe we can send you home with whatever is ripe. D-mail me when you're coming.

Loon
Thanks for the invite. Today I am getting ready to go to the Chelsie Flower show in London. Normally we catch a plane in Bay City but this time we are going from Alpena.

Gary

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

WOW, I'm jealous. Have a great time at the flower show. I have watched it on television. When I lived downstate I used to go to the one in Ann Arbor. Chelsea is the supreme flower show though. Have a great time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.