Do you pinch Rex Begonia vine?

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I hate pinching things- I feel like a murderer (LOL) but I don't want them to get too leggy.....

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

As I told Cindy, if you want a bushier plant definitely pinch it back and root what you take off. I know it's hard, but in the long run makes a prettier, fuller plant .. don't even think about it, just grab the secateurs and do it. If you think about it you won't do it.

What makes plants grow is a growth hormone giberellic acid. The primary growing tips of plants produce a kind of growth suppressant which can inhibit the secondaries farther down on the leaf nodes from growing. By removing the primary, the secondaries start growing.

X

Hi Xeramtheum

Thanks for the 'pinching' science. Would this apply to stictocardia's too? My secondaries are not developing very much. Do you usually wait until your vine reaches the trellis top before you pinch? Thanks seray

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's true of all plants .. as they get older though the growth suppressant seems to get weaker and weaker and the secondary's start growing anyway .. it's all chemistry.

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.