Might Be a STUPID Question,Can You Force An Iris To Re Bloom?

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I got my Iris From Kanita in CA today and they have already bloomed for her.Can I put these in the frig for a little while and then plant and get them to re bloom?Or do I just have to wait until next year?

This on the left is my Iris Rhizomes/Tuber,whatever you call them,and in the middle and on the right are what she sent.Very antsy to see them bloom.

Thumbnail by synda
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I don't think so, at least I've never heard of forcing Iris with rhizomes. Just plant them in the ground so they will get a good start to survive your winters and enjoy your flowers next spring.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I'm just so excited.Do you see the size difference?

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Yes, I sure do. They look like they should produce really nice flowers next Spring.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Well I did find this on forcing http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/forcingbulbs.htm but I'm just going to plant and wait.Someone said PATIENCE is a Virtue.......LOL.

South Hamilton, MA

Iris put in a fridge will be so damaged you will lose the plant. The rhizomes are a food storage stem which hold the roots. They are not bulbs, so your bulb forcing site is useless for them. Plant to give them a good start for next yr. DD lives in OH, zone 5 & irises do fine for her.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks irisMA.......

Raleigh, NC

just remember rhizomes are not bulbs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.