If you only had 0.10 acres what would you plant?

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

I own half of a Victorian/Colonial Revival duplex. Zone 5. South facing, but a little shade from the huge trees across the street, but enough sun for decent tomatoes. The front of the house is just starting to look nice after a ton of work, and once I've finished painting the porch I will dig some new beds in front of the house. Currently my garden is only in my berm which is about 5 feet by 30 feet and has about 50 perennials that I planted last year, I planted 250 heirloom daffodils last fall (mostly white, thalia, poet's, albus plenus odoratus, and a few groupings of more unique ones like butter and eggs, van scion etc) and some double tulips, mostly angelique and mount tacoma. I am transplanting in heirloom seedlings I've been growing, china asters, pinks, sweet william, johnny jump-ups, various pansies, cleome, foxglove, bells of ireland etc. Fairly cottage garden like. I grew some tomatoes and basil in the berm last year with my flowers. I also planted a few hundred crocus last fall in my tiny front lawn (about 20 feet by 12 feet with a walk way in the middle.

The only plant next to my foundation is a 20 foot lilac which is at the left corner of my house and was probably planted when the house was build. The left 1/3 of my house is a bay window, the right 2/3 is covered porch, with the walkway dividing the lawn equally. I would like to put a mixed border next to the bay and porch, but definitely don't want "foundation plantings". Golden glow near the front stairs is a must (and already ordered) and I think I would like to grow something up the four columns on the porch, other than that I have a blank slate. I want to add more daffs, and at least 100 double tulips, as well as some singles. My windows on the bay are about four feet from the ground, and I don't want to block them year round, so tall flowers ok, but shrubs should be under five feet. From the ground to the top of the porch railings is about 8 feet, so almost anything goes.

What are must have plants for such a small space?

Thanks!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

If I had a small space I'd want to have clematis and daylilies.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I agree with Jen, especially in a small space, going vertical gives a whole new dimension.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Maybe mix the a climbing rose in with the clem?
No coment on the daylilies but if you need some let me know I have some going out for the cost of the postage only. I'm thinning my beds.....it will be a long project.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

A girl after my own heart! I love to plant heirloom variety flowers! You sure are ambitious with all your bulbs! How about Columbines - nice color variety; Nigella/Love In a Mist; Larkspur - not as tall as Delph's; Nicotiana (tall) - evening scented - yummy!

Lots of columns for vines - have you ever tried Love In A Puff (cardiospermum)? It's a wonderful heirloom vine that can grow up to 10 feet, very delicate looking and lovely. I wouldn't be without it!
This photo is: mine on the left, and two web photos showing the puffs and seeds with heart-shaped marks on them.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I always wondered why they called it "love in a puff" - now I know.

South Hamilton, MA

A climbing rose is helpful. You seem to have covered spring very well. How about the fall? Sedum have an interesting green stem which stands out before the flowers appear. The newer ones have colored stems. Dwarf hosta? Anything with variegated leaves no matter when they bloom. Of course, I would reccommed irises--intermediate types don't take up as much room as the taller ones & some rebloom. Dwarf hosta can be tucked into small corners at the edges of the beds.

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

I was hoping to put a dutchman's pipe on the short side of the porch which faces the louder street-I figure that will act as a screen, although I think I'll have to ask my neighbors if I can plant it in their yard (I live in a twin house and the porch is the property line). Three of the columns are in a row on the front of the porch, one is set back a bit closer to the bay. How crazy can I get planting different things on different columns? I was definitely thinking roses and clematis on the porch, and maybe a wisteria on the other column. I like the love in a puff a lot, and don't think it will become invasive in my yard given winter..., I also like cup and saucer vines, trumpet flowers etc. Can I grow a vine up my lilac?

I planted wabash iris and one other that I forget the name of, and was really admiring some japanese irises in the white flower farm catalog. I also would like to grow some species lilies somewhere against the house. Once the west side gets painted next year I can put some trellises up that as well, it gets partial sun.

I have double pink columbine seeds from selectseeds that need to be transplanted in, as well as lime nicotiana and some cranberry nicotiana that will be coming in the mail soon. My larkspurs don't seem to have come up (selectseeds as well, I'm sure my problem not theirs). I definitely need some nigella.

South Hamilton, MA

Would suggest not to do a trumpet vine in a small space. It is very good at sending out runners & has a very strong stem which likes to destroy whatever it is climbing on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.