First Orchid!!

Clarksville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi, I recently received 4 orchids (epids) i think in a swap. I planted in orchid mix (bark) and soak the bark before planting. I put all 4 in an 8" square pot. Also bought orchid fertilizer. Have under grow lite. Any thing else I need to do. How often to water, etc. Any help would be appreciated. thanks so much. DebK

Do they look like this?
http://communities.msn.com/TZ/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=13

If so, they are tough plants. They can dry out between waterings, but it is better if you water while the potting mix is nearly dry in the middle (a light pot, but still humid in the middle). Your pot is probably a little big if the plants are top cuttings with roots (keikis). I would have put them all into one 4 inch square pot or a 5 inch round pot at most (one inch between each stem and between the stem and the side of the pot). You want the roots to fill up the pot quickly, otherwise the potting mix rots faster and is unhealthy.

Clarksville, IN(Zone 6a)

thank you for answering back. I couldn't see the picture on the hyperlink, but will put in smaller pot. thanks again, DebK

Bummer, it usually works, These MSN photothings are temperamental sometimes.

Try to cut and past this into the address bar.

communities.msn.com/TZ/photoalbums.msnw

go to the Epidendrum shots

This message was edited Monday, Sep 17th 1:21 AM

Lebanon, MO

Hey TZ!! good info as usual . Gin

Hi Gin !!!!

They closed down my other out of the way forum today so I went looking and found this one.

Lebanon, MO

This is a great site ,lots of diffrent forums regarding other interests that can be discussed .I am new here too.G

Clarksville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey TZ, I was finally able to open the hyperlink. Those orchids are gorgeous. Your help was appreciated. If you think of anythink else, please let me know. again, thanks for your help. Hi to all the others. DebK

Hi Deb,

Glad I could help. Some friends gave me a bunch of cuttings so I planted them everyway I could think of to see what would happen. I put them in water, moss, coconut husk chips, clay pellets, full sun, partial sun, bright indirect light etc, and they all are doing great. Reed stem Epidendrums are the perfect plant for people afraid of orchids.

Here is my real website with more stuff on it.

http://www.nhm.org/guana/tz-webpg/plants.htm

Petaluma, CA

TZ, what a wonderful site! Thanks, I love your story!
perL :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.