Best Mail order Source for Iris???

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Please, can people share their favorite mail order sources for Iris??? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you so much!

Gainesville, TX

I have ordered from just about all the farms. I like Malevil Iris out of Texas and Cooleys for their large sizes and decent selections and prices.....Snowpeak a daves garden member has good selections and buys. Argyle Iris farms has a good selection of historics.

You can get snookered if you don't buy directly from farms.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I love Winterberry Gardens in Cross Junction, VA. They do not have an online presence (that I know of) but Ginny is really helpful and you can get a catalog sent to you for the asking.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I got some nice iris from a place called Wild Iris Rows that bloomed true to name. The owner Greg was nice and very generous with my ordered iris and bonus iris. I also got nice iris from Snowpeak as well.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Schreiners is my favorite.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

We always buy Cooley's.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

anyone heard from the iris patch?
I hope they are good, I ordered some.
But then I just got an automated email for confirmation. So far I havent been able to reach a live person :(
They are in the garden watch but don't have any rating.
I am also ordereing from snowpeak and shadowood.

South Hamilton, MA

Mid-America,Schreiners, Rocky-Top,Keppel,SnowPeak, winterberry,Cooleys,Aitken's Salmon Creek--lots of choices I haven't listed. It depends partially which type you want--those I have listed are bearded.

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you all SO much for your kind help! I appreciate it and will definitely use those resources.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

In addition to those already mentioned above, Painted Acres Farm is good. They recently expanded their offerings. Superstition has a good reputation -- I placed my first order with them this year. Katie at Stoney Creek also has a good selection and provides excellent service. It's always best to order directly from the farms/growers.

Raleigh, NC

sandnsea2, you can't hardly go wrong chosing any of the ones that advertise with American Iris Society - the president of which lives in Greenboro, did you know?

www.irises.org there's a link towards the bottom, maybe "other links" area? that will list all the advertisers or commercial growers. most have websites, but some of the very best (often older folks) don't.

thing is, AIS members are PICKY. these folks, if their irises don't perform, get hammered by the members, so those that do advertise are usually some of the very very best.

I have successfully ordered from (in order of overall plant performance in my garden): Cooleys, ENCIS (eastern NC Iris Society) July sale, MidAmerica Gardens, Keppel, Snowpeak, Suttons, Schreiners, the iris co-op (PNW) here on DG, Malevil, and Woodland, and Rainbow. I'd heard Woodland is gone, though, and Rainbow, well, that was a transitional year for them. I'd heard they have new management, a really young plant-wiz fella that was most impressive at nationals.

The Charlotte Iris Society also has an iris sale. ENCIS and CIS sales are fund raiser sales at which members often bring in divisions from their best growers to promote irises in NC. Any time you can get locally grown irises, go for it, as they have adapted to our weather and soil here.

Raleigh, NC

Oh! and Winterberry's (Don and Ginny Spoon) is a great source, too, if I'd ever get my order in before they sold out of everything! I've been there. Don is an awesome hybridizer, Ginny is no slouch either, and now their son Bryan is winning awards, too! they feature lots of reblooming irises (late fall to early autumn), and everyone on the east coast is just raving about them. but they are a very small operation, so even now is a bit late to order. so if you're going to order from them, do it now.

If you want to have a great time, go on up this weekend and cruise their garden, see what you like most. they should be having prime bloom around the 24th or so. they are located just inside the WVa border. Not hard to find, and Ginny gives great directions - email her for when prime bloom will be.

Raleigh, NC

one more and then I'll shut up. these are all great Tall Bearded sources. some have a few other types as well.

If you want something that can more easily be mulched - and if you have somewhere that's a bit boggy, check out ensata.com. they are located in Kalamazoo area, and are as nice as can be.

South Hamilton, MA

Joe Pye Weed for siberians. Past the April shipping. New orders would be Aug. & Sept.

Raleigh, NC

I know ensata carries a lot of Schafer/Sacks intros. Is Joe Pye weed their garden?

South Hamilton, MA

Yes

Raleigh, NC

now i'm gonna be dangerous to my own purse....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Joe Pye Weed is a great place to buy sibs, and species X. really, really nice people too.

And you don't need a boggy area for Japanese, bonjon, mine are grown in sand.

Raleigh, NC

speaking of which, polly, I have so much here that requires planting it's intimidating. but by fall I should be wanting some sibs. are you going to be selling again by then?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm selling some for fall. I'm just about sold out, darn it. I never expected all the orders, but sure appreciate them. Right now, I'm really trying to gear up for next year. Dividing like crazy to get more. I thought people would order one, maybe two of a variety, I guess I never realized there were people that ordered in multiples of 10 and up, LOL.

Thanks for asking, bonjon.

Detroit, MI

Napairis.com has great prices, alot lower than Schreiners and these are huge irises

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.