Helianthus tuberosus

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I´ve grow this one but not get any flowers, now I see they talk on DG about eating it?!!!
What do I do wrong, do I grow to dark, I grow in west. Does it flower late in the fall, my one grows up to 2,5 metres high but not any buds and then the frost take it in late fall.

I would love to get flowers too.

Sylvia

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Sylvia, my Turkish neighbours grow them in their garden for the tubers they eat like a kind of potatoes. They get indeed very tall like yours, but they do flower late in the season, they grow them in full sun, the flowers are quite small in relation to the plant. Last year I don't remember seeing them in bloom though, it was a horrible dull and chilly summer over here, hopefully this summer will be better and you might get blooms too.. :)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They need a long hot summer to flower - not sure if Sweden would be warm enough.

The tubers are edible, but have a strong tendency to produce copious, evil-smelling flatulence after consumption!

Resin

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

bonitin
thanks for let me know, I suppose I had to plant them in a calm south place to get warm and sunny during the whole day. We also had a cold, and sun-poor summer.

Resin
You can have right, to cold for Sweden perhaps, but it is a beautiful plant. Anyway it is spreading itself very much. I think I have to dig up much of it this year.
I dont think I will eat it :o)

Sylvia

This message was edited May 18, 2009 7:35 PM

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I planted them last year and did get flowers and now live to regret it. The come up everywhere, including my neighbour's garden! And I cannot harvest them without ruining my entire border......

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I see that too. It´s coming on a wide front in my plot. But it´s beside the house and it is very dry so I hope it will stop it.
Sylvia

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I have exterminate all roots now, woaw such much roots. I´m happy I´ve been warn before it spread to much. But it was a nice plant anyway.
Sylvia

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Sylvia, if you really like it you could still grow one in a pot ? :)

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Yes bonitin
I know, but it newer flower here. To cold and short summer. So I pass therefor.

Jessheim, Norway

Hi Sylvia.

Witch type of Jerusalem Artichoke do you grow?
There is more or less only one of them who manage to produce flowers up here in the north. The ones I got are about to start flowering now. I can send you a couple of bulbs in the beginning of October if you like to try a new sort.

They need dark nights to produce bulbs, that's why they are tricky in Scandinavia. But luckily they will produce the bulbs even though they don't have flowers.

Gunn M.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hi Gunn Thanks for offering, but I have exterminate my Helianthus tuberosus, it was to aggressive for growing in 'My Garden'.
So no thanks to bulb, but thanks for offer.

regards Sylvia

Jessheim, Norway

Hi Sylvia.
I definitely understand that point of view. I am not to found of moving them around the garden, you never get all roots out of the soil :(

(But, on the other side: the taste is delicious! I was harvesting the first plant yesterday. Still to early, but enough bulbs for a nice family dinner.)

Regards,
Gunn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.